Handshake Student User Guide
Handshake Student User Guide
Handshake, UGA’s job and internship platform, connects students to thousands of jobs, internships, employers, and events using simple and powerful search tools and alerts. You can quickly access your account from the link on the Career Center homepage.
To maximize Handshake’s potential in your job or internship search, be sure to use the following tips after logging into your Handshake account:
Update Your Profile
- Click the “My Profile” link, located in the drop-down menu under your name.
- Edit your primary education section with your major(s), GPA, and expected graduation date.
- Use the “Upload Resume” tool to autofill your profile from your resume.
- Add copies of your resume/cover letter/transcript/additional items to the “Documents” section for easy access.
- Stand out to employers by filling out the various sections of your profile, and upload relevant projects as examples of your work.
- Click “Jobs” along the top menu, then click “Employers.”
- Search for employers by keyword, name, location, employer size, or industry.
- On the employer’s Handshake page, view any current jobs/internships they have posted, upcoming campus events they are attending, and on-campus interview opportunities.
- Once you find an employer you are interested in, you can click “Favorite” in the upper right corner of their employer page. You will then receive updates when they post a new job, internship, or event on campus.
- Click “Jobs” along the top menu, then click “On-Campus Interviews.”
- Search for or select the company who requested to interview you.
- Most companies only allow you to sign up for an interview after a pre-selection process. If you are selected, you will be able to sign up for a time on their interview page.
- Before applying for or signing up for an On-Campus or Virtual Interview, please click/tap below to review the Career Center's "Interview No-Show/Cancellation Policy."
The UGA Career Center has a strict no show and cancellation policy for on campus and virtual interviews. If a student cancels a scheduled interview less than 24 hours before the scheduled interview time, or if the student does not show up for a scheduled interview, the student’s Handshake account will be blocked. This policy will be enforced no matter what the reason (sickness, family emergency, car trouble, exam schedule, work conflict, etc.).
In order to have his/her Handshake account unblocked, the student must write an apology/explanation letter and email that to the employer within 48 hours of the missed interview. In addition, Holly Getchell, Director of Employer Relations, must be copied on that email. It is the student’s responsibility to look up the employer’s contact information. They can do so by coming to the Career Center front desk and looking in the on campus interview binder that holds employer contact information. This information will not be provided over the phone or via email. If a student fails to do the aforementioned tasks, his/her Handshake account will remain blocked.
Students unable to keep an appointment for a campus interview must cancel the interview through Handshake by 12:00 noon, two working days prior to the scheduled interview time. Students who fail to cancel their interviews in time and students who fail to appear for scheduled interviews may lose their interviewing privileges through the Career Center.
- Click “Events” along the top menu.
- Search by upcoming events or click "Event Search" to search for specific workshops, em-ployer panels, and online events hosted by the UGA Career Center.
- Information sessions hosted by employers on campus will also be listed under the Events tab.
- Click “Fair Search” to see information specifically about upcoming fairs on campus.
- When you have clicked on a career fair, click on “View All Employers” to see who will be attending. Click “View Details” under an employer’s name in the list to learn more about the company, job openings they have posted on Handshake, and more.
Searching for Jobs/Internships
- Click “Jobs” along the top menu.
- Select “Full-Time Job,” “Part-Time,” “Internship,” or “On-Campus” along the top, or use the search bar to search for specific employers, job titles, or locations.
- Click “Filters” to narrow down the results by location, major, job function, and more.
- View “Employer's Preferences” to only see positions for which you are fully qualified based on major, GPA, graduation date, and work authorization.
- "Favorite"" jobs/internships from the homepage and view them by clicking the star icon.
- Save the search and get notification alerts when new jobs are posted that meet your saved, search criteria. Do this by selecting “Save Your Search.”