What Can I Do With a Major In Advertising?
UGA Specific Information for Advertising
Advertising aims to educate students about the role of advertising, public relations and marketing communication in business and in the social and economic orders. The advertising department seeks to acquaint students with advertising in a variety of contexts and from a number of different viewpoints. It attempts to explain why businesses and others use advertising as a form of communication; how advertising affects the mass media; how advertising is used by consumers in making buying decisions; how advertising is controlled and regulated; and what effects advertising has on the economy. People who work in advertising include artists, statisticians, writers, psychologists, salespeople, researchers, designers, managers, account planners, analysts, and others. Studying advertising will not train the student in any one of the specialized skill areas, but will give the students an overall understanding of how these skills are brought together and used to help solve advertising communication problems.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Advertising*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Ad Club
- American Marketing Association
- International Association of Business Communicators - UGA Chapter
- Pandora Yearbook
- Paw Print Agency
- The Professional Entertainment & Sports Association (PESA)
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Rouge Magazine
- Talking Dog Agency
- The Red and Black
- Women in Sports and Events (WISE) – UGA Chapter
- UGA Mentor Program
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the UGA Involvement Network
- Connect with your Career Consultant.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Knowledge/Skills Needed in this Industry
- Students interested in the accounts and management side of advertising should consider taking at least one course in marketing, business management, accounting, and/or finance. Try to become proficient in Excel before you graduate.
- Gain practical experience in problem-solving, customer service, marketing, writing, management, and sales. Gain persuasion skills through sales and learn how to sell your ideas.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, interpersonal skills, teamwork, integrity, organizational and communication skills, and good judgment.
- For students interested in the creative side of advertising, develop and strengthen art skills, creativity, and initiative.
- Gain experience with social media marketing using platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Become proficient in social media analytics by using a program like HootSuite.
- More students are becoming proficient in online advertising services such as Google AdWords.
- Get experience with a variety of software programs, including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Photo Mechanic, Apple - Final Cut Pro X, Audacity, and Soundslides. Additionally, Dreamweaver, Macromedia Flash, Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid, and Fireworks are also very useful in the multimedia industry. LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com) is a great, free resource for this.
- Consider enrolling in New Media Certificate courses to gain understanding and proficiency in digital media such as coding, new technology, and social media.
- Create a portfolio of writing samples, ad campaigns, marketing strategies, graphics, and ideas. Making an online portfolio is a good way to market your skills for job opportunities by using websites such as Behance, Issuu, SquareSpace, WordPress, Weebly, and Wix. For more information, check out Portfolio Resources on the Career Center website.
Campus Involvement, Domestic Field Study and Study Abroad Opportunities
- Participate in organizations such as Ad Club, Talking Dog Agency (a student-run, full-service advertising agency), or PawPrint Agency (a student-run advertising agency serving non-profit clients).
- Take advantage of ADPR trips to Chicago, New York City, and other destinations to visit top advertising employers. In the past, the group has made stops at DDB, Digital Kitchen, Ogilvy, Leo Burnett, and McGarry Bowen to name a few.
- The ADPR department at Grady also offers the NYC Maymester course as a Grady elective. Students spend two weeks in class in Athens, and one week on agency tours in New York. Previous classes have visited Ogilvy & Mather, DDB, Digitas, Translation, and Ignition, among many others.
- Join the American Marketing Association at UGA to gain knowledge in marketing strategies and research. You will also gain practical experience in applying social and digital marketing techniques with local and national businesses.
- Students interested in pursuing careers in the creative industry are encouraged to enroll in Summer at the Circus, a partnership between Grady College and The Creative Circus in Atlanta. The Creative Circus is one of the top portfolio schools in the country, offering programs in Art Direction, Copywriting, Design, Image, Interactive Design, and several other areas.
- Participate in the ADPR Choose China Study Abroad Program, and learn about brand communication in Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong.
- Consider participating in the UGA Cannes Lions Study Abroad Program, which allows students to attend the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity and witness thousands of ads from around the world being showcased and judged. This opportunity also allows students to network with producers, directors, and actors who have starred in motion pictures.
LinkedIn Groups to Join
- Advertising and PR at UGA Grady College
- Internships and Interns
- University of Georgia Alumni Association Group (UGA)
- University of Georgia Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Alumni
- Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
- For more information on how to effectively utilize LinkedIn, check out the UGA Career Center's Networking Page.
Additional Internship and Job Search Tips
- For additional information on internships and job opportunities, look out for emails sent every Tuesday on the Grady Career Services Update listserv. If you are not on that listserv, sign up for the Grady job leads listserv here.
- Follow @UGAGradyCareers on Twitter for timely job postings and career advice, run by the Grady College Office of Experiential Learning and the UGA Career Center Grady College Career Consultant.
- If you’re interested in working or interning for a specific company, visit that company’s website. Job and internship opportunities are usually listed under the “Careers” tab.
- For a complete list of advertising agencies and PR firms, check out this list compiled by Grady.
- For information about job salary, company reviews, and job openings, visit Glassdoor and Payscale.com.
- For a general job search, visit websites such as Indeed, Monster and Simply Hired.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (Click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (Type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Login with your UGA ID and select Click "Candid Career")
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers. Login with your UGA ID and select Click "Candid Career")
- Handshake (Log in with your UGA MyID and password)
- Idealist (Non-profit jobs)
- Interstride (International Job Search resource for domestic and international students)
- USAJobs (Federal jobs)
- Advertising Age
- American Ad Agencies
- American Marketing Association
- Association of National Advertisers
- Creative Pool
- Digital Media Jobs Network
- Entertainment Careers
- Journalism Jobs
- Media Bistro
- Media Post
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) - Career Center
- Nation Job
- Production Hub
- PR Week Magazine
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA National) - Job Center
- PRSA/Georgia Chapter - Career Center
- Talent Zoo
- T. Howard Foundation – Diversity in the Media
- WarnerMedia (Formerly Turner Broadcasting)
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|22squared||Field Assistant Account Executive||360i||Associate Media Manager, Junior Associate||A Taylored Affair||Event Coordinator||ADP||Associate District Manager||AirSage Inc.||Digital Marketing Coordinator||Amnet Programmatic Experts||Media Coordinator||Area 23||Associate Integrated Producer||Atlanta Hawks||Membership Associate||Bankruptcy Affiliates||Marketing Coordinator||BBDO Atlanta||Account Coordinator||BBYO||Not Specified||BoardActive||Director of Marketing||Bobby Hotel||Server Assistant||Brooksource||Technical Recruiter||Brunch Babe||Marketing and Buyer Assistant||Camp Twin Lakes||Development Coordinator||Cancer Treatment Centers of America||Marketing Associate||Canvas Worldwide||Associate Media Buyer||Carat USA||Assistant Media Buyer||Carestream Dental||Marketing Coordinator||Cargo||Client Engagement Apprentice||Cartoon Network||Social Media Creative Intern||Comcast||National Sales Planner||Donnelley Financial Solutions||Sales Associate||Dry County Brewing Co.||Brand Manager||Ecom.ly||Creative Marketing Associate||Enterprise Holdings||Management Trainee||Extra Special People, Inc.||Development Coordinator||Fandom||Coordinator||FleishmanHillard||Graduate Development Program, Consumer Marketing||Forrestall & Company||Social Media and Marketing||Foundation for Hospital Art||Artist and Event Leader||Franchise Marketing Systems||Graphic Designer||Garden & Gun Magazine||Integrated Marketing Intern||Gas South||Marketing Coordinator||GE Digital||Software Engineer||Goodby, Silverstein and Partners||Strategy Intern||Associate Account Strategist||Greystar||Leasing Professional||GTC Beechwood 11 Cinemas||Assistant Manager||HelpSticker||Digital Marketing Manager||iCIMS||Brand Associate||Ideas United||Account Coordinator||IgnitionOne||Assistant Media Manager||Imagine Media Consulting||Social Media Ambassador||Insight Global||Contractor Expense Specialist, Recruiter||Jack Boring Productions||Self Employed||Jupiter Entertainment||Production Designer||Ketchum||Digital Coordinator||LaFORCE||Account Coordinator||Levelwing||Data Analyst||LocumTenens.com||Account Representative||Loot Cave Co||Social Media Coordinator||LUCKIE||Junior Content Strategist, Junior Designer||Major League Baseball||Photography Intern||MarkeTeam||Account Executive||McCann Health||Junior Art Director||Mighty Auto Parts||Marketing Intern||Milk and Butter Social||Intern||Millennium Mat Company||Marketing Specialist||Mindshare||Digital Investment Associate||Mower Agency||Creative Writing Intern||Moxie||Account Management Associate, Media Manager, Strategy Intern||MoZeus Worldwide||Marketing Specialist||My Friend's Nephew||Account Coordinator||Neurotic Media LLC||Operations Assistant||News America Marketing||Account Coordinator||OMD Worldwide||Programmatic Analyst||On AG||Social Media & PR Intern||Oracle||Not Specified||Patients & Purpose||Brand Coordinator||Performics||Associate Media Manager||Petit Vour||Graphic Designer||PHD||Assistant Strategist||Popmenu||Junior Web Designer||Praxis3||Marketing Coordinator||Publicis Media||Assistant Media Planner, Social Content Analyst||RapportWW||Junior Account Executive||Saatchi & Saatchi Wellness||Account Management Intern, Brand Coordinator||Salesforce||Business Development Advocate||SapientRazorfish||Project Coordinator||Savannah College of Art and Design||Human Resources Assistant||Scion Group||Customer and Sales Experience Manager||Search Discovery||Business Intelligence Analyst||See.Spark.Go||Apprentice||Seller Labs||Customer Success Agent||Serta Simmons Bedding, LLC||Marketing Assistant||Southern Living||Marketing Fellow||Southland Organics||Marketing Associate||Standard Office Systems of Atlanta||Marketing Specialist||Strategy Source LLC||Marketing Intern||Sweetwater Brewing Company||Taproom Bartender||Switch Doctor||Intern||Table Tap||Digital Marketing Intern||Talking Dog Agency||Director of Member Relations||Taqueria Tsunami||Server||Techtronic Industries||Field Sales and Marketing Representative||The Home Depot||UX Designer||The Lodge of Athens||Leasing and Marketing Manager||Thirty Tigers||Digital Marketing and Advertising Intern||Tiger Bomb Promo||Radio Promoter||Turner Broadcasting System||Intern||UberPrints||Customer Service Representative||United Way||Digital Marketing Specialist||University of Georgia Wesley Foundation||Intern||Unmutable||Marketing & Social Media Coordinator||URBN||Sales Associate||Vert Digital||Digital Media Coordinator||VStar Entertainment||Mayor Goodway/Actor||Walt Disney World||Cast Member, Character Attendant, College Program Participant - Attractions||WarnerMedia||Campus Recruiter, TBX Intern||Wellness First Chiropractic||Community Outreach Associate||WUOG 90.5 FM||Station Staffer||Yellow Duck Marketing||Graphic Designer|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Advertising - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|The Creative Circus||Art Direction, Certificate||University of Georgia||Advertising and Public Relations (4,1 Program), MA; Journalism and Mass Communication, MA; Marketing Research, MMR; Mass Communication, MA|