What Can I Do With a Major In Advertising?
UGA Specific Information for Advertising
Advertising aims to educate students about the role of advertising, public relations and marketing communication in business and in the social and economic orders. The advertising department seeks to acquaint students with advertising in a variety of contexts and from a number of different viewpoints. It attempts to explain why businesses and others use advertising as a form of communication; how advertising affects the mass media; how advertising is used by consumers in making buying decisions; how advertising is controlled and regulated; and what effects advertising has on the economy. People who work in advertising include artists, statisticians, writers, psychologists, salespeople, researchers, designers, managers, account planners, analysts, and others. Studying advertising will not train the student in any one of the specialized skill areas, but will give the students an overall understanding of how these skills are brought together and used to help solve advertising communication problems.
Class of 2020 Career Outcomes for Advertising*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Ad Club
- American Marketing Association
- International Association of Business Communicators - UGA Chapter
- Pandora Yearbook
- Paw Print Agency
- The Professional Entertainment & Sports Association (PESA)
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Rouge Magazine
- Talking Dog Agency
- The Red and Black
- Women in Sports and Events (WISE) – UGA Chapter
- UGA Mentor Program
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the UGA Involvement Network
- Connect with your Career Consultant.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Knowledge/Skills Needed in this Industry
- Students interested in the accounts and management side of advertising should consider taking at least one course in marketing, business management, accounting, and/or finance. Try to become proficient in Excel before you graduate.
- Gain practical experience in problem-solving, customer service, marketing, writing, management, and sales. Gain persuasion skills through sales and learn how to sell your ideas.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, interpersonal skills, teamwork, integrity, organizational and communication skills, and good judgment.
- For students interested in the creative side of advertising, develop and strengthen art skills, creativity, and initiative.
- Gain experience with social media marketing using platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Become proficient in social media analytics by using a program like HootSuite.
- More students are becoming proficient in online advertising services such as Google AdWords.
- Get experience with a variety of software programs, including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Photo Mechanic, Apple - Final Cut Pro X, Audacity, and Soundslides. Additionally, Dreamweaver, Macromedia Flash, Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid, and Fireworks are also very useful in the multimedia industry. LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com) is a great, free resource for this.
- Consider enrolling in New Media Certificate courses to gain understanding and proficiency in digital media such as coding, new technology, and social media.
- Create a portfolio of writing samples, ad campaigns, marketing strategies, graphics, and ideas. Making an online portfolio is a good way to market your skills for job opportunities by using websites such as Behance, Issuu, SquareSpace, WordPress, Weebly, and Wix. For more information, check out Portfolio Resources on the Career Center website.
Campus Involvement, Domestic Field Study and Study Abroad Opportunities
- Participate in organizations such as Ad Club, Talking Dog Agency (a student-run, full-service advertising agency), or PawPrint Agency (a student-run advertising agency serving non-profit clients).
- Take advantage of ADPR trips to Chicago, New York City, and other destinations to visit top advertising employers. In the past, the group has made stops at DDB, Digital Kitchen, Ogilvy, Leo Burnett, and McGarry Bowen to name a few.
- The ADPR department at Grady also offers the NYC Maymester course as a Grady elective. Students spend two weeks in class in Athens, and one week on agency tours in New York. Previous classes have visited Ogilvy & Mather, DDB, Digitas, Translation, and Ignition, among many others.
- Join the American Marketing Association at UGA to gain knowledge in marketing strategies and research. You will also gain practical experience in applying social and digital marketing techniques with local and national businesses.
- Students interested in pursuing careers in the creative industry are encouraged to enroll in Summer at the Circus, a partnership between Grady College and The Creative Circus in Atlanta. The Creative Circus is one of the top portfolio schools in the country, offering programs in Art Direction, Copywriting, Design, Image, Interactive Design, and several other areas.
- Participate in the ADPR Choose China Study Abroad Program, and learn about brand communication in Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong.
- Consider participating in the UGA Cannes Lions Study Abroad Program, which allows students to attend the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity and witness thousands of ads from around the world being showcased and judged. This opportunity also allows students to network with producers, directors, and actors who have starred in motion pictures.
LinkedIn Groups to Join
- Advertising and PR at UGA Grady College
- Internships and Interns
- University of Georgia Alumni Association Group (UGA)
- University of Georgia Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Alumni
- Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
- For more information on how to effectively utilize LinkedIn, check out the UGA Career Center's Networking Page.
Additional Internship and Job Search Tips
- For additional information on internships and job opportunities, look out for emails sent every Tuesday on the Grady Career Services Update listserv. If you are not on that listserv, sign up for the Grady job leads listserv here.
- Follow @UGAGradyCareers on Twitter for timely job postings and career advice, run by the Grady College Office of Experiential Learning and the UGA Career Center Grady College Career Consultant.
- If you’re interested in working or interning for a specific company, visit that company’s website. Job and internship opportunities are usually listed under the “Careers” tab.
- For a complete list of advertising agencies and PR firms, check out this list compiled by Grady.
- For information about job salary, company reviews, and job openings, visit Glassdoor and Payscale.com.
- For a general job search, visit websites such as Indeed, Monster and Simply Hired.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (Click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (Type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Login with your UGA ID and select Click "Candid Career")
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers. Login with your UGA ID and select Click "Candid Career")
- Handshake (Log in with your UGA MyID and password)
- Idealist (Non-profit jobs)
- Interstride (International Job Search resource for domestic and international students)
- USAJobs (Federal jobs)
- Advertising Age
- American Ad Agencies
- American Marketing Association
- Association of National Advertisers
- Creative Pool
- Digital Media Jobs Network
- Entertainment Careers
- Journalism Jobs
- Media Bistro
- Media Post
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) - Career Center
- Nation Job
- Production Hub
- PR Week Magazine
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA National) - Job Center
- PRSA/Georgia Chapter - Career Center
- Talent Zoo
- T. Howard Foundation – Diversity in the Media
- WarnerMedia (Formerly Turner Broadcasting)
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2020 Advertising majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|ADP||Associate District Manager||AkroMetrix, LLC||Graphic Designer||Amazon||Dispatcher||B3C Fuel Solutions||Marketing Specialist||Ballard Designs||Junior Graphic Designer||Bellhops Moving||Market Operations Specialist||Black Bear Design||Content Manager/Copywriter||Brandmovers||Junior Graphic Designer||Bureau Christopher Knowles||Design Apprentice||Carat||Assistant Buyer||CDW||Associate Account Representative||Chemistry South||Strategist||Chil & Co||Designer||Christian Roofing and Remodeling||Marketing Specialist||Collabera Inc.||Associate Account Manager||Comcast||University Relations Specialist||Core Health Fitness||Marketing and Sales Assistant||Cox Communications||Advertising Sales Associate||Dewberry Group||Director of First Impressions||Division D||Assistant Account Excuetive||Double the Donation||Account Executive||DWA||Assistant Media Planner||eBay||Global Marketing Coordinator||Eli Lilly and Company||Marketing Associate||ER Law||Marketing Consultant||ETHIX360||Manager of Social Media Marketing||etuHOME||Marketing Specialist||FCB Health||Assistant Media Planner||Ferguson Enterprises||Customer Service Representative||First Presbyterian Church LaGrange||Director of Student Ministries and Director of Lewis & Broad Media||Fisher Investments||Account Executive||Fitzco||Associate - Digital Platforms, Associate Media Planner||Fox Stations Sales Inc.||Sales Assistant||GradCast||IT Manager & Marketing Media Development||H&L Partners||Account Coordinator||Harry Warren of Georgia||Inside Sales Representative||Hinge Creative Co.||Intern||HomeGrown Restaurant Group||Marketing Intern||ID.ology Interiors & Design||Marketing & Office Coordinator||Infinity Marketing||Not Specified||ISG Partners||Associate Recruiter||Jackson Spalding||Graphic Design Intern||JCG Apparel||Manager||Junction Creative Solutions||Digital Marketing Coordinator||Kemper Corporation||Market Analyst||Klevu||Product Specialist||LUCKIE||Marketing Coordinator||Marcus & Millichap||Marketing Coordinator||Marketwake||Account/Project Management Intern||McCann health||Project Coordinator||Meadows Health||Wellness Fitness Coordinator||MiQ||Client Services Associate||Mississippi State University||Assistant Director of Spirit and Fan Engagement||Molly's Spirits||Marketing Intern||Momentum Worldwide||Assistant Account Executive||NAPA Auto Parts||Category Activation Specialist||NBCUniversal||Account Service Representative||NCR Corporation||Customer Success Manager, Marketing Specialist, Sales Operations Analyst||NectarOM||Independent Contractor||Netflix||Production Assistant for the Health and Safety Department||Newell Brands||Channel Marketing Assistant||Northside Hospital||Not Specified||O'Connell & Dempsey, LLC||Associate||Omnicom Media Group||Assistant Buyer, Associate Video Investment||One & All Agency||Account Coordinator||Optomi||Account Executive / Technical Recruiter||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Prolifik Marketing||Advertising Media Manager||Publicis Sapient||Product Manager||Red Dress||ATF Stylist||Reduce||Graphic Designer||Reformed University Fellowship at the University of Florida||Intern||Rewardian||Employee Experience Strategist||Robb Facial Plastic Surgery||Marketing Coordinator||Scout Social||Campaign Coordinator||See.Spark.Go||Content Specialist||Soliant||Talent Acquisition Coordinator||Spotify||Artist and Label Partnerships Intern||Synergis||Technical Recruiter||Teach For America||TFA Corps Member||Techtronic Industries||Event Marketing Specialist||TEGNA||National Sales Assistant||The Golf Club of Georgia||Golf Shop Manager||The Home Depot||Merchandise Planner Analyst||The Korea Times||Reporter/Marketing Assistant||Times Journal, Inc.||Advertising Account Executive||Tinuiti||Client Strategy Intern||Transwestern||Assistant Property Manager||UGA Wesley Foundation||First Year Intern, Freshley Communications Intern||University of Georgia||Marketing Professional at VPI-Admissions Office||W Hotels||Complex Leisure and Group Sales Coordinator||WarnerMedia||Strategic Operations Coordinator||We Are All Human||Digital Marketing Intern||Weichert, Realtors - Coastal Properties||Marketing Coordinator||WinShape Camps||Camp Experience Apprentice||Wisepath Business Services||Marketing Intern||Women4Change Indiana||Communications Coordinator||Wunderman Thompson Atlanta||Field Marketing Account Manager|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2020 Advertising majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Emory University||Law, JD||Furman University||Strategic Design, Master's||Georgia State University||Marketing, Master's; Middle Level Education, Master'||The Creative Circus||Copywriting, Diploma/Certificate||The Creative Circus Portfolio School||Copywriting, Diploma/Certificate||University of Georgia||Advertising and Public Relations, Master's; Double Dawgs, Master's; Emerging Media, Master's; Film TV and Digital Media, Master's; Journalism and Mass Comm, Master's; Journalism and Mass Communication, Master's; Law, J|