What Can I Do With a Major In Agricultural Education?
UGA Specific Information for Agricultural Education
This program prepares students for teaching positions in secondary school agriculture programs and related professional jobs in agriculture. Students majoring in Agricultural Education develop a broad background in the agricultural sciences and are qualified for certification by the State Department of Education as teachers of agriculture. The Agricultural Education program is a major component of the Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education, and Communication. In addition to the opportunities for teaching agriculture, graduates of this program are employed in the Cooperative Extension Service and in many other leadership positions in the fields of agriculture and education. Such positions capitalize on the technical and professional skills of these graduates for application in various selling, promotional, administrative, research, and educational leadership projects.
Class of 2020 Career Outcomes for Agricultural Education*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Agricultural Communicators and Leaders of Tomorrow
- Alpha Gamma Rho (Men pursuing careers in agriculture)
- Collegiate 4-H
- Collegiate FFA
- Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS)
- Sigma Alpha (Women pursuing careers in agriculture)
- Alpha Tau Alpha, Alpha Psi Chapter: National Honorary Agricultural Education Society
- UGA Mentor Program
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations at
Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
How to Pursue Additional Careers in Education:
Seeking jobs outside of teaching and/or education? Additional career opportunities with an Education degree are out there! First, you need to consider a few things:
- What are your interests?
- What skills and abilities have you been using in your current job?
- Who is in your network?
What are Your Interests?:
Several Interest inventories exist that can help you clearly assess your interests. The Career Center offers the Strong Interest Inventory, TypeFocus, and Focus 2, which can be used for this purpose. For additional information on these assessments, visit here.
In addition, the O-Net can be used to informally assess interests and match interests with careers.
What are Your Skills and Abilities?:
In your previous or current jobs or experiences, you have utilized and/or mastered skills that you’ve enjoyed. Consider your involvement in a campus or community organization. Did you enjoy using interpersonal skills, public speaking, organizational skills, or event planning? Using the list below of typical skills used in education, highlight those that apply to you.
- Learning Strategies
- Active Listening
- Use of technology
- Critical Thinking
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Reading Comprehension
- Social Perceptiveness
- Time Management
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
- Getting Information/Research
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
- Coaching and Developing Others
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
- Documenting/Recording Information
- Thinking Creatively
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
- Communication skills
Who is in YOUR Network?:
Do you know family or friends who are in a career that you find interesting or exciting? Set up an informal informational interview with him or her and find out about the ins and outs of the job. Is it possible for you to shadow him or her for a day/week? Remember, it’s impossible for someone to help you if you’re not asking for help.
What are other UGA Education Graduates doing?
Get inspired! Seek out other UGA Education graduates who have made a career move. LinkedIn is a great way to explore additional careers. Join the University of Georgia Alumni Association Group on LinkedIn to connect with members.
- Education Administration
- Instructional Coordinator
- Sales Executive
- Marketing Manager
- Academic Advisor
- Corporate Trainer
- Education Policy Advisor
- Distance Education & Instructional Designer
- eLearning Developer
- Education/Outreach Coordinator
- Event Planner
- Educational Research Associate
- Camp Director
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- National Association of Agricultural Educators
- Georgia's State FFA Association
- Georgia's Agricultural Education
- Georgia's Vocational Agriculture Teachers Association
- The FFA National Organization
- Agriculture Online
- Agriculture Future of America
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2020 Agricultural Education majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Bulloch County Schools||Middle School Agriculture Teacher||Effingham County School District||High School Agricultural Education Teacher||Georgia Pecan Growers Association||Events and Education Manager||Trinity Prep School||3rd and 4th Grade Science Teacher||University of Georgia||Administrative Assistant, Cooperative Extension Bartow Co. - intern|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2020 Agricultural Education majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Oklahoma State University||Agricultural Education, Master's||University of Georgia||Agricultural and Environmental Education, Master's; Agricultural and Environmental Science, Master's; Agricultural Environ Educ, Bachelor's; Agricultural Environment Education, Bachelor'|