What Can I Do With a Major In Biochemistry and Molecular Biology?
UGA Specific Information for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Biology encompasses the study of all living organisms, including microbes, plants, and animals. The study of biology includes various aspects of life, including basic organization (molecular, cellular, tissues, organs), how organisms function, their roles in the natural environment, how hereditary information is transferred, and development of biotechnology. Biology graduates are broadly trained and well prepared for admission into strong graduate programs in the biological sciences and professional schools (medical, dental, and veterinary). They may also directly assume positions in government, education, industry, or certain technical fields.
Biochemistry is the study of the chemical substances and vital processes occurring in living organisms. Biochemists focus heavily on the role, function, and structure of biomolecules. The study of the chemistry behind biological processes and the synthesis of biologically active molecules are examples of biochemistry.
Molecular biology is the study of molecular underpinnings of the processes of replication, transcription, translation, and cell function. The central dogma of molecular biology where genetic material is transcribed into RNA and then translated into protein, despite being an oversimplified picture of molecular biology, still provides a good starting point for understanding the field. This picture, however, is undergoing revision in light of emerging novel roles for RNA.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology*
** Includes Self-Employed
- UGA Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Homepage
- Student Organizations through Involvement Network (try Biochemistry Undergraduate Society, Biochemistry Graduate Student Association)
- Connect with your Career Consultant for help with job searching, resumes, interviewing skills, career options, applying to grad school, and much more
- Connect with your Academic Advisor
- Find research opportunities by reaching out via email to faculty in your department or outside of it based on your research interests; Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities (CURO) at UGA can help support you (off campus research opportunities: Research Experiences for Undergraduates)
- If you're interested in a healthcare career, connect with the UGA Pre-Health Advising Office to meet your pre-health advisor and for more information
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POSSIBLE CAREER PATHS IN BIOCHEMISTRY + MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
Agricultural scientist | Beer and wine maker | Bio-animator and filmmaker | Bioethicist | Bioinformatician | Biological and medical illustrator | Biomedical engineer | Biomedical researcher | Bioremediator | Biostatistician | Biotechnology researcher | Bioterrorism expert | Business administrator | Clinical researcher | Conservation biologist | Criminal investigator | Dietician | Entrepreneur | Environmental attorney | Environmental scientist | Epidemiologist | Food safety expert | Forensic scientist | Genetic counselor | Government health official | Grant administrator | Grant writer | High school teacher | Marine biologist | Museum curator | Museum exhibit preparer | Nurse | Occupational therapist | Optometrist | Patent agent | Patent attorney | Pharmaceutical researcher | Professor | Public health administrator | Public information officer | Public outreach expert | Regulatory affairs expert | Sales and marketing professional | Science policy expert | Science reporter | Science writer/editor | Toxicologist | Veterinarian | Zookeeper
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- GoinGlobal - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides (Login using your 810/811)
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development.
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Portfolium - Your work and projects are undeniable proof of your skills – Portfolium will help you learn and allow you to display the top skills graduate schools and employers want. Portfolium is where you’ll upload your work, projects, presentations and more. The UGA Career Center has pre-loaded your profile to include the top skills graduate schools and employers seek in their candidates. Log-in to your profile to see how you can build your skills!
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Career Cornerstone Center - Career planning resources for STEM fields
- "Learn How to Become" Job Search and Career Resource Center- this source provides advice for the job search, networking, interviews, salary negotiation, tips for starting the position, and more!
- Handshake - Login with your UGA myID and password to view thousands of jobs/internships from employers looking for UGA students
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- GoinGlobal - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Idealist - Nonprofit Jobs
- Indeed - General job search engine
- USAJobs - Federal Jobs
- The Vault - Industry guides, jobs, and internships
- American Society of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Job Board
- Careers, American Institute of Biological Science
- SCA – Internships; Gap Years (room/board/stipend)
- Environmental Jobs & Careers
- Georgia Bio Job Board (Atlanta-area biotechnology group offering networking events and career resources
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Institute of Biological Science
- American Society for Microbiology
- Society of Integrative & Comparative Biology
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Advanced Medical Services Inc||Medical Sales Representative||AmeriCorps||Social Media Coordinator, Notre Dame Mission Volunteers||Boehringer Ingelheim||Scientist||CVS||Pharmacy Technician||EGL Genetics||Clinical Genetics Technologist I||KPMG||Advisory Cybersecurity Associate||Momar, Inc.||Research And Development Chemist||National Institutes of Health||Postbaccalaureate Research Fellow||Peachtree Orthopedics||Intern||Pfizer||Associate Scientist||PruittHealth||Clincial Social Work Intern||Publix||Cashier||Resurgens Orthopaedics||Medical Assistant||Ron Jons||Lab Technician||RWDC||Biotechnician||ScribeAmerica||Medical Scribe||SuperScribe||Medical Scribe||Teach For America||Teach For America Corps Member||The Mountain Retreat & Learning Center||Details Lead||Triage Consulting Group||Associate Consultant||U.S. Air Force||Pilot Select||University of Georgia||Genetics Department Lab Technician 1, Lab Technician - Department of Biochemistry, Laboratory Technician, Research Technician|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Biochem and Molecular Biology - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|Augusta University||Dental Medicine, DMD; Medicine, MD; Nursing (Clinical Nurse Leader), MSN-CNL; Physician Assistant, MPA||Brown University||Medicine, MD||Case Western Reserve University||Medicine, MD||Emory University||Anesthesia, MMSc||Georgetown University||Biotechnology, MS||Georgia State University||Neuroscience, PhD||MedCare Health Cert||Medical Assistant, Certificate||Meharry Medical College||Medicine, MD||Mercer University||Biomedical Sciences, MS; Medicine, MD; Physician Assistant, MMSc; Preclinical Sciences, MSPCS||Morehouse College||Medicine, MD||Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)||Osteopathic Medicine, DO||St. Jude Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences||Biomedical Sciences, PhD||The University of Alabama at Birmingham||Optometry, OD||University of Bonn||Medical Immunosciences and Infection, MS||University of Georgia||Veterinary Medicine (Veterinary Medical Scientist Training Program), DVM/PhD||University of Pennsylvania||Cellular and Molecular Biology, PhD||University of Utah||Medicine, MD/PhD|