What Can I Do With a Major In Chemistry?
UGA Specific Information for Chemistry
Chemistry majors are trained to think both analytically and creatively to solve practical and research problems. Chemistry majors work all primary work sectors: non-profit, education and government, and industry, some proceed to law or medical degrees. Nearly 70 percent of chemists work in industry. Half of the chemists work with research. Bachelor’s degrees qualify for employment with the federal government in quality control and analytical positions, research and for the development of fuels and medicines.
"The Department of Chemistry strives for an ideal balance between knowledge creation and knowledge dissemination in the chemical sciences, with a focus on student training and education. Our mission is to train and mentor students as responsible scientists and scientifically literate professionals, involving them in all aspects of chemistry and the global chemical enterprise." --UGA Chemistry Dept. Mission Statement
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Chemistry*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Chemical Society (Student Chapter)
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honors Society
- American Medical Student Association (AMSA)
- Beta Beta Beta is a National Biological Honor Society
- Pre-Nursing Club
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine Club
- Pre-Physician Assistant Club
- Pre-Pharmacy Society – Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- UGA Pre-Health Advising Office
Connect with your Career Consultant.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Students interested in a healthcare career should investigate resources listed by the UGA Pre-Health Advising Office for an expanded list of campus organizations, area clinics, and volunteer opportunities.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- My Next Move (search using keywords)
- ExploreHealthCareers.org (great overview of healthcare-related career fields)
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- American Chemical Society Jobs
- Science Jobs
- Nature Jobs – Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry Jobs Worldwide
- Computational Chemistry List
- SCA – Internships; Gap Years (room/board/stipend)
- Environmental Jobs & Careers
- USAJobs.gov (job board for federal agencies - consider visiting the "Students and Recent Graduates" portal)
- Georgia Bio Job Board (Atlanta-area biotechnology group offering networking events and career resources)
- Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities (CURO) at UGA
- UGA iPAWS Job Board for Full-Time Opportunities on Campus (click "Search Postings" and then explore "Staff-Full Benefits" and "Temporary" listings for research-related and other campus opportunities)
- American Chemical Society
- ACS Publications
- Am. Assoc. Advancement of Science
- Journal of Chemical Education
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Aalto Scientific, LTD||Development Technician||Birchwood Foods||Quality Assurance Intern||Brightree||Customer Support Representative||Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory||Research Intern||LifeHope Labs||Associate Chemist||Los Alamos National Laboratory||Post Bachelors Intern||Milan Eye Center||Ophthalmic Technician||Momar, Inc.||Quality Control Chemist||New Materials Institute||Research Professional||RX Express||Intern||Spectraforce||Regulatory Affairs Specialist||Triad Consulting||Engineering Project Manager||Walmart||Pharmacy Technician||XL Academy||Chemistry Tutor|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Chemistry - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|Augusta University||Dental Medicine, DMD; Medicine, MD||Colorado School of Mines||Chemistry, MS||Florida State University||Chemistry, PhD||George Mason University||Law, JD||North Carolina State University||Chemistry, PhD||Rice University||Chemistry, Degree Not Specified||University of Georgia||Horticulture, MS; Veterinary Medicine, DVM||University of Miami||Biomedical Sciences, MS||University of Notre Dame||Analytical Chemistry, PhD||University of Virginia||Chemistry, PhD|