What Can I Do With a Major In Chemistry?
UGA Specific Information for Chemistry
Chemistry majors are trained to think both analytically and creatively to solve practical and research problems. Chemistry majors work all primary work sectors: non-profit, education and government, and industry, some proceed to law or medical degrees. Nearly 70 percent of chemists work in industry. Half of the chemists work with research. Bachelor’s degrees qualify for employment with the federal government in quality control and analytical positions, research and for the development of fuels and medicines.
"The Department of Chemistry strives for an ideal balance between knowledge creation and knowledge dissemination in the chemical sciences, with a focus on student training and education. Our mission is to train and mentor students as responsible scientists and scientifically literate professionals, involving them in all aspects of chemistry and the global chemical enterprise." --UGA Chemistry Dept. Mission Statement
Class of 2020 Career Outcomes for Chemistry*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Chemical Society (Student Chapter)
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honors Society
- American Medical Student Association (AMSA)
- Beta Beta Beta is a National Biological Honor Society
- Pre-Nursing Club
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine Club
- Pre-Physician Assistant Club
- Pre-Pharmacy Society – Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- UGA Pre-Health Advising Office
Connect with your Career Consultant.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Students interested in a healthcare career should investigate resources listed by the UGA Pre-Health Advising Office for an expanded list of campus organizations, area clinics, and volunteer opportunities.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- My Next Move (search using keywords)
- ExploreHealthCareers.org (great overview of healthcare-related career fields)
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- American Chemical Society Jobs
- Science Jobs
- Nature Jobs – Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry Jobs Worldwide
- Computational Chemistry List
- SCA – Internships; Gap Years (room/board/stipend)
- Environmental Jobs & Careers
- USAJobs.gov (job board for federal agencies - consider visiting the "Students and Recent Graduates" portal)
- Georgia Bio Job Board (Atlanta-area biotechnology group offering networking events and career resources)
- Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities (CURO) at UGA
- UGA iPAWS Job Board for Full-Time Opportunities on Campus (click "Search Postings" and then explore "Staff-Full Benefits" and "Temporary" listings for research-related and other campus opportunities)
- American Chemical Society
- ACS Publications
- Am. Assoc. Advancement of Science
- Journal of Chemical Education
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2020 Chemistry majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|AmbioPharm, Inc.||Purification Chemist 1||Edison Controls||Warehouse Associate||Enzymatic Deinking Technologies||Field Chemist||Epic Systems||Project Manager||Georgia Options||Direct Support Caretaker||Hammond School||Teaching Fellow||OptimaChemical||Quality Control Assistant||ORISE/USDA||Research Fellowship Participant||Pinecrest Academy||Middle School Science Teacher||RS Industrial||Technical Service Chemist||University of Georgia||Research Assistant at the Complex Carbohydrate Research Center||VanKirk||Project Engineer|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2020 Chemistry majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Auburn University||Pharmacy, Not Specified||California Institute of Technology||Chemistry, PhD||Medical College of Georgia||Medicine, MD||Mercer University||Medicine, MD; Preclinical Sciences, Master's||University of Georgia||Chemistry, Bachelor's; Chemistry, PhD; Pharmacy, PharmD; Public Health - Epidemiology, Master's||University of Pittsburgh||Pharmaceutical Science, PhD||University of Wisconsin-Madison||Physical Chemistry, PhD|