What Can I Do With a Major In Culinary Science and Nutrition?
UGA Specific Information for Culinary Science and Nutrition
The Culinary Science and Nutrition program offers an interdisciplinary curriculum that integrates principles of food science, nutrition, and the culinary arts. Culinary Science and Nutrition majors examine the functions of ingredients in foods and food products. Students also learn how to conduct analytical evaluation of foods, including color, pH, viscosity, and moisture content. Sensory characteristics (appearance, aroma, taste, flavor, texture) which impact consumer acceptance of food products when ingredients are modified or removed are also examined. Students learn to apply this knowledge to the selection, preparation, and processing of food in commercial and industrial environments.
A Culinary Science and Nutrition major prepares students for positions in the food industry, industrial food service (e.g. hospitals, schools, etc.), and for food and nutrition-related educational positions.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Culinary Science and Nutrition*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Connect with Marla Ebert, your Career Consultant - click her to find information on how to schedule an appointment and drop-in hours
- Culinary Science and Nutrition Academic Advisor - Beverly Hull
- UGA Foods and Nutrition Department - Culinary Science and Nutrition
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development.
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences • Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior • International Association for Food Protection • Institute of Food Technologists • American Public Health Association
LINKEDIN - Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Grade Potential Tutoring||Private Tutor||Maggiano's Little Italy||Not Specified||The Coca-Cola Company||Sensory Evaluation Lab Technician|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Culinary Science & Nutrition - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|Augusta University||Dietetics (Dietetic Internship), MS/DI||University of Georgia||Dietetics (Dietetic Internship), Degree Not Specified|