What Can I Do With a Major In Dairy Science?
UGA Specific Information for Dairy Science<! -- begin major description -->
The thriving dairy industry in Georgia is an important segment of the agricultural economy. The modern industry requires personnel trained in business, economics, and management as well as the traditional dairy science courses. Courses of a more basic nature may be emphasized by students who desire careers in science-related fields or who wish to pursue graduate or professional study. This major is highly recommended for persons planning to enter a program of study in veterinary medicine.
The curriculum in dairy science prepares the student for a career in dairy farm operation as a manager or owner; in sales of equipment, animal health products or feed; in field services with processing plants, feed manufacturers, breed associations, and marketing agencies; in college research and teaching; as county extension agents, vocational agriculture teachers, or research technicians.<! -- end major description -->
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Dairy Science*
** Includes Self-Employed
<! -- begin campus resources -->
- UGA Animal and Dairy Science Clubs and Organizations
- UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Organizations
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
Connect with your Career Consultant for guidance and support.
<! -- begin additional UGA Career Center recommendations -->
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
If you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree, check out our website for assistance with this process
If you are considering applying to veterinary school, check out this article for specific tips
If you are interested in medical school, check out this site for details about the application process
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Firsthand (Explore a library of guides, articles, and other resources to help you explore careers, plan your job search, and learn about different work environments. Create a free account with your UGA email.)
- Candid Career (Watch recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers. Filter videos by career title, college major, industry, and more.)
- American Dairy Science Association
- Dairy Calf & Heifer Association
- American Society of Animal Science
- National Block and Bridle Association
- Animal Science Database
- Animal Health Institute
- The American Veterinary Medicine Association
- US Food and Drug Administration, Center for Veterinary Medicine
- Society of Dairy Technology
- Agriculture Future of America
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Dairy Science majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Georgia Department of Agriculture||Meat Inspector|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Dairy Science majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Georgia Southern University||Physics, Master's||Loyola University||Veterinary Medicine, DVM|