What Can I Do With a Major In Dietetics?
UGA Specific Information for Dietetics
Optimum food and nutrient intake plays a critical role in disease prevention and health maintenance. There is an increasing demand for professionals in the field of dietetics who can provide quality food and nutrition care services to individuals and groups. The mission of the Didactic Program in Dietetics is to prepare students for successful careers in dietetics and encourage students to assume leadership roles in their profession and in society. The dietetics major is a Didactic Program in Dietetics approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Upon completion of the Didactic Program in Dietetics, students must complete a supervised practice program, such as an ACEND-accredited dietetic internship, to become eligible to take the registration examination for dietitians.
The field of dietetics offers many opportunities related to foods and nutrition in health care, management, education, business and industry settings. Clinical dietetics positions are available in hospitals, clinics, health maintenance organizations, long-term care facilities, and private practice. Other opportunities include management of food or nutrition care services in health care facilities, schools or restaurants; public health nutrition; research and/or education in universities, medical centers, and government agencies.
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Dietetics*
** Includes Self-Employed
Connect with Jessica McLeod-Waddell, your Career Consultant - click here to find information on how to schedule an appointment
Daily Drop-In Hours: (staffed by Career Center graduate assistants and student interns)
In-Person: Mondays – Thursdays, 11 am – 2 pm in Clark Howell Hall (2nd Floor)
Virtual: Fridays, 11 am – 2 pm, career.uga.edu/appointments
- Dietetics Academic Advisor - Beverly Hull
- UGA Foods and Nutrition Department - Dietetics
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences • Student Dietetic Association
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- FACS Legislative Aide Leadership Fellows Program • Exploring a Career in Dietetics • 5 Steps to Become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist via the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics • Non-R.D. Options (from the UMass Amherst Department of Nutrition) • Peer Nutrition Educators • UGA Dining Services Employment • Employment Opportunities in Dietetics for UGA Students/Graduates by Dr. Emma Laing • Dietetic Internship Application Process by Dr. Emma Laing • DICAS Application Overview video • Suggestions to Improve Your Chances at Getting a Dietetic Internship Position via the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
Firsthand - Company rankings/profiles, industry career guides, and advice articles
Candid Career - Recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics • American Society for Nutrition • Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior • ASPEN • Collegiate and Professional Sports Dietitians Association • American College of Nutrition • International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity
LINKEDIN - Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Dietetics majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Augusta University||Dietetic Intern||Georgia State University||Intern||North Central Health District||WIC Nutritionist|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Dietetics majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Augusta University||Science and Dietetic Internship, MS/DI||Augusta University||Allied Health, MS||Augusta University||Combined MS/Dietetic Internship, MS||Columbia University||Human Nutrition, MS||Georgia Southern University||Dietetic Internship Program, Dietetic Internship Certificate||Georgia State University||Medicine, Master's||Georgia State University||Coordinated Program, MS/DI||Georgia State University||Health Sciences, Nutrition, Coordinated Program, MS||Georgia State University||Nutrition/Dietetics, MS||Georgia State University||Coordinated Program, MS||Georgia State University||Diatetics, MS||Not Specified||Dietetic, RD||University of Georgia||Foods and Nutrition, MS||University of Georgia||Non-Thesis Foods and Nutrition, MS||University of Georgia||Nutritional Sciences, MS||University of Georgia||Food and Nutrition, MS||University of Georgia||Nutritional Sciences, MS||University of Georgia||Foods and Nutrition, Master's||University of Georgia||Nutritional Sciences, MS||University of Georgia||Foods and Nutrition, MS||University of Georgia||Diatetics, BAA||University of Georgia||Community Nutrition, MS||University of Georgia||Community Nutrition, MS||University of Georgia||Foods and Nutrition (Community Nutrition), MS||University of North Georgia||Undeclared, BA||University of Texas||Dietetics, MS||University of Texas at Austin||Public Health, MPH|