What Can I Do With a Major In Dietetics?
UGA Specific Information for Dietetics
Optimum food and nutrient intake plays a critical role in disease prevention and health maintenance. There is an increasing demand for professionals in the field of dietetics who can provide quality food and nutrition care services to individuals and groups. The mission of the Didactic Program in Dietetics is to prepare students for successful careers in dietetics and encourage students to assume leadership roles in their profession and in society. The dietetics major is a Didactic Program in Dietetics approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Upon completion of the Didactic Program in Dietetics, students must complete a supervised practice program, such as an ACEND-accredited dietetic internship, to become eligible to take the registration examination for dietitians.
The field of dietetics offers many opportunities related to foods and nutrition in health care, management, education, business and industry settings. Clinical dietetics positions are available in hospitals, clinics, health maintenance organizations, long-term care facilities, and private practice. Other opportunities include management of food or nutrition care services in health care facilities, schools or restaurants; public health nutrition; research and/or education in universities, medical centers, and government agencies.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Dietetics*
** Includes Self-Employed
Connect with Jessica McLeod-Waddell, your Career Consultant - click here to find information on how to schedule an appointment
Daily Drop-In Hours: (staffed by Career Center graduate assistants and student interns)
In-Person: Mondays – Thursdays, 11 am – 2 pm in Clark Howell Hall (2nd Floor)
Virtual: Fridays, 11 am – 2 pm, career.uga.edu/appointments
- Dietetics Academic Advisor - Beverly Hull
- UGA Foods and Nutrition Department - Dietetics
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences • Student Dietetic Association
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- FACS Legislative Aide Leadership Fellows Program • Exploring a Career in Dietetics • 5 Steps to Become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist via the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics • Non-R.D. Options (from the UMass Amherst Department of Nutrition) • Peer Nutrition Educators • UGA Dining Services Employment • Employment Opportunities in Dietetics for UGA Students/Graduates by Dr. Emma Laing • Dietetic Internship Application Process by Dr. Emma Laing • DICAS Application Overview video • Suggestions to Improve Your Chances at Getting a Dietetic Internship Position via the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
Firsthand - Company rankings/profiles, industry career guides, and advice articles
Candid Career - Recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics • American Society for Nutrition • Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior • ASPEN • Collegiate and Professional Sports Dietitians Association • American College of Nutrition • International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity
LINKEDIN - Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Dietetics majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Athens Heart Center and Specialty Clinics||Medical Assistant||Bon Appétit Management Company||Dietetic Technician and Marketing Coordinator||Georgia Southern University||Dietetic Intern||Laney Walker Health Department||Nutritionist||MedLink Georgia||Diabetes and Nutrition Care Coordinator||Ravel, LLC||Qualitative Researcher||VeryVera||Associate Producer|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Dietetics majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Duke University||Nursing, BS||Georgia Southern University Armstrong Campus||Dietetics, DI||Georgia State University||Health Sciences, MS||Georgia State University||Health Sciences, Not Specified||Hunter College||Nutrition Sciences, MS||Lipscomb University||Sports Nutrition, BS/MS||Priority Nutrition Care||Dietetics and Clinical Nutritional Services, DI||Samford University||Dietetics and Clinical Nutritional Services, DI||Trevecca University||Physician Assistant, MS||University of Alabama At Birmingham||Clinical Track/Dietetic Internship, MS||University of Georgia||Nutritional Sciences, MS||University of Georgia||Foods and Nutrition, BS/MS||University of Georgia||Foods and Nutrition, Master's|