What Can I Do With a Major In English?
UGA Specific Information for English
English is a major branch of the language arts with a primary focus on writing, reading, literature, and speech. Although accurate use of the English language is essential to every college graduate, encountering the humanizing forces of languages and literature is the primary objective for students in this major. An English major will gain skills in critical thinking and articulate self-expression as well as knowledge of English and American Literature, language history and usage, and the critical contexts that help us to interpret our own age as well as others. Although the program encourages breadth and variety, it also offers ample opportunity for intensive study of particular interests, such as linguistics or creative and technical writing.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for English*
** Includes Self-Employed
To find additonal clubs and organizations, visit the Center for Student Organizations.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
General Information and Strategies
- A bachelor’s degree in English is very broad and is sufficient for entry level positions in business and industry, as well as in areas such as entertainment, radio and television commentary, and museum work. Because English can lead to many different career paths, it is important to identify an area of interest and be planful about gaining the right skills, experience, and credentials to enter that field.
- A major in English is also good preparation for continued graduate or professional training in areas such as English, law, political science/government, public administration, communications, religious studies (e.g. seminary).
- Be proactive, determined, assertive, and confident in order to secure freelance writing opportunities. Writers typically experience many rejections for each piece that is accepted for publication. Save samples of written work to be used for a portfolio. Cultivate other career opportunities in order to supplement a freelance writing income.
- Obtain additional areas of expertise such as journalism, broadcasting, technical writing, or politics for specialized positions.
- Conduct informational interviews or shadow professionals in careers of interest to learn more about their jobs.
- Join relevant professional associations. Attend their conferences and read their journals.
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. To search, select “groups” under the “interests” tab. Also, review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Interested in graduate school? Find current information on getting into graduate school at UGA’s Career Center webpage.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- GoinGlobal - International (to access, login with your MyID and password)
- Idealist - Nonprofit
- USAJOBS - Federal
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs
- American Copy Editors Society
- American Library Association
- American Society of Journalists & Authors
- Association of Literary Scholars and Critics
- Magazine Publishers of America
- National Writers Association
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- Association for Business Communication
- Association of Teachers of Technical Writing
- College English Association
- International Writing Centers Association
- Modern Language Association
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Screen Actors Guild
- Society for Technical Communication
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 English majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Atlanta Classic Comics||Store Manager||Barrow County Schools||Teacher||Big Canoe POA||Experience Communications Coordinator and Storyteller||BOS Security, Inc.||Marketing Manager||Brown & Brown Insurance||Marketing Coordinator||CJV Fine Art Gallery||Gallery Director and Content Creator||DeKalb County School District||English Language Arts Teacher||Fulbright||English Teaching Assistant||Hall Booth Smith, P.C.||Paralegal||Hussmann||Order Management Supervisor||Institute of Reading Development||Reading Instructor||Madison Byler Artistry||Artist||Manjaks Gymnastics||Coach||Motion Recruitment||Recruiter||North Atlanta Pediatric Associates||Medical Assistant||Office of the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives||Press Assistant||Peachtree Corners Animal Clinic||Veterinary Technician||Pond & Company||Marketing Coordinator||RangeWater Real Estate||Legal Assistant||Taylor English Duma||Economic Development and Election Law Intern||TEGNA||Reporter||The Extension||Development and Marketing Coordinator||The Impact Partnership||Copywriter||The TJX Companies, Inc.||Customer Experience Coordinator||University of Georgia||Retail Dining Assistant Manager||University of Georgia||Assistant to the Dean of Students for Marketing and Communications||Vendue Hotel||Barback||Watkins Law Firm, LLC||Paralegal|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 English majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Charleston School of Law||Law, JD||Clemson University||English, Not Specified||Devry University||Certified Public Accountant, Certificate||Georgia College & State University||English, MA||Georgia Gwinnett College||Georgia Gwinnett College, Not Specified||Louisiana State University||Law, Not Specified||Middle Georgia State University||Second Grade Education, Not Specified||North Carolina State University||Clinical Mental Health Counseling, MEd||The New School||Creative Publishing and Critical Journalism, MA||The University of Tennessee - Knoxville||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Philosophy, Not Specified||University of Georgia||Journalism and Mass Comm, Master's||University of Georgia||College Student Affairs Administration, MEd||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Elementary Education, MEd||University of Georgia||English, Master's||University of Georgia||English, Master's||University of Georgia||English Education, Master's||University of Georgia||English Education, Master's||University of Georgia||English Education, Master's||University of Illinois at Chicago||Law, JD||University of Iowa||Not Specified||University of Mississippi||Law, JD||University of North Carolina At Chapel Hill||Not Specified||University of Oxford||English, Master's||University of San Diego||Law, JD||University of West Georgia||Not Specified||Valdosta State University||Library Science, MS|