What Can I Do With a Major In English?
UGA Specific Information for English
English is a major branch of the language arts with a primary focus on writing, reading, literature, and speech. Although accurate use of the English language is essential to every college graduate, encountering the humanizing forces of languages and literature is the primary objective for students in this major. An English major will gain skills in critical thinking and articulate self-expression as well as knowledge of English and American Literature, language history and usage, and the critical contexts that help us to interpret our own age as well as others. Although the program encourages breadth and variety, it also offers ample opportunity for intensive study of particular interests, such as linguistics or creative and technical writing.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for English*
** Includes Self-Employed
To find additonal clubs and organizations, visit the Center for Student Organizations.
And connect with your Career Consultant!
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
General Information and Strategies
- A bachelor’s degree in English is very broad and is sufficient for entry level positions in business and industry, as well as in areas such as entertainment, radio and television commentary, and museum work. Because English can lead to many different career paths, it is important to identify an area of interest and be planful about gaining the right skills, experience, and credentials to enter that field.
- A major in English is also good preparation for continued graduate or professional training in areas such as English, law, political science/government, public administration, communications, religious studies (e.g. seminary).
- Be proactive, determined, assertive, and confident in order to secure freelance writing opportunities. Writers typically experience many rejections for each piece that is accepted for publication. Save samples of written work to be used for a portfolio. Cultivate other career opportunities in order to supplement a freelance writing income.
- Obtain additional areas of expertise such as journalism, broadcasting, technical writing, or politics for specialized positions.
- Conduct informational interviews or shadow professionals in careers of interest to learn more about their jobs.
- Join relevant professional associations. Attend their conferences and read their journals.
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. To search, select “groups” under the “interests” tab. Also, review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Interested in graduate school? Find current information on getting into graduate school at UGA’s Career Center webpage.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- GoinGlobal - International (to access, login with your MyID and password)
- Idealist - Nonprofit
- USAJOBS - Federal
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs
- American Copy Editors Society
- American Library Association
- American Society of Journalists & Authors
- Association of Literary Scholars and Critics
- Magazine Publishers of America
- National Writers Association
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- Association for Business Communication
- Association of Teachers of Technical Writing
- College English Association
- International Writing Centers Association
- Modern Language Association
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Screen Actors Guild
- Society for Technical Communication
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Anne Arundel County Public Schools||English Teacher||Apex Systems||Technical Recruiter||Athens-Clarke County Library||Library Assistant||Atlanta Homeshop Team||Marketing Specialist||Brad Cecil and Associates||Account Coordinator||BusyBissy Media Productions||Art Director||C2 Education||History Tutor||Center for Orthopedics and Sports Medicine||Clerical Assistant||Clarke County School District||ELA Teacher||Columbia County School System||Teacher||Eagle Ranch||Program Assistant||Epic||Software Developer||ERA Sunrise Realty||Social Media Consultant and Buyer's Agent||Family Flowers - McCarthy Group Florists||Digital Marketing Specialist and Content Writer||First Data||Security Operations Specialist||Fulton County School System||ELA Teacher, English Teacher||Georgia Aquarium||4D Theater Operator||Georgia Gameday Center||Operations Manager||Greene County School District||Teacher||Greenville County Schools||Secondary English/Language Arts Teacher||Gwinnett County Public Schools||6th Grade Language Arts Teacher, English Teacher||Habitat for Humanity||US Grants Specialist||Hodges-Mace||Senior Data Specialist Team Lead||Iconic Youth||Editor||Ignite Mental Health||Writer/Editor Intern||Innova Software||Inside Sales||Jefferson Parrish School District||Teacher||Jittery Joe's Coffee||Barista||Kimley-Horn||Marketing Analyst||Kinship Care Resource Center||Special Programs Coordinator||Monroe County School District||Middle School Teacher||Natural Resources Conservation Service||Not Specified||NHiM Clothing||Associate||North Point Ministries||Service Programming Intern||Porter Novelli||Account Coordinator||Proskauer Rose LLP||Project Assistant||QASymphony||Associate Technical Writer||Ramsey Solutions||Customer Success Advisor||Rogers & Cowan||Temporary Receptionist||SBI||Marketing Support||SEO My Business||Content Creator||SiriusXM||Coordinator, Streaming Content Discovery & User Experience||Teach For America||Teach For America Corps Member||University of Georgia Press||Intern||WUOG 90.5 FM||DJ|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA English - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|Boston University||Emerging Media Studies, Degree Not Specified||Georgia College & State University||English, Degree Not Specified||Georgia State University||English, Not Specified; Law, JD||New York University||Journalism (Science, Health, Environmental Reporting), MA; Performance Studies, Degree Not Specified||Northwestern University||Piano Performance, MM||Oxford University||The Columbia Publishing Course, Degree Not Specified||The University of Maryland||English, MA||The University of Tennessee, Knoxville||English, Degree Not Specified||University of Georgia||English, MA; English Education, MAT; Law, JD; Nonprofit Management and Leadership, MA||Valdosta State University||Master of Library and Information Science, MLIS||Vanderbilt University||English, PhD|