What Can I Do With a Major In Fashion Merchandising?
UGA Specific Information for Fashion Merchandising<! -- begin major description -->
The Fashion Merchandising major is designed to provide students with a basic understanding of merchandising related to the apparel and textile industries. The program emphasizes the skills and competencies needed for careers in fashion promotion, buying, retailing, merchandising, and management. Students in the Product Development and Design emphasis learn to work in a number of ways to design products. Inspiration and design concepts drive the garments' creation, along with identifying the target market. All designs are first prototypes in muslin, design and fit problems addressed and resolved, before the final garment is constructed. Student designers present their final projects to the class, professor, and invited judges.
Fashion merchandising offers a wide variety of career opportunities with retailers, manufacturers, marketing research firms and product information services. Graduates travel the world, start their own businesses and make positive impacts on their companies and communities.<! -- end major description -->
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Fashion Merchandising*
** Includes Self-Employed
<! -- begin campus resources -->
Connect with Jessica McLeod-Waddell, your Career Consultant - click here to find information on how to schedule an appointment
Daily Drop-In Hours: (staffed by Career Center graduate assistants and student interns)\
In-Person: Mondays – Thursdays, 11 am – 2 pm in Clark Howell Hall (2nd Floor)
Virtual: Fridays, 11 am – 2 pm, career.uga.edu/appointments
- UGA TXMI Department - Fashion Merchandising
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- The Agency
- Fashion Design Student Assocation (FDSA)
- Rouge Magazine
- Student Merchandising Association
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
<! -- begin additional UGA Career Center recommendations -->
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
Firsthand - Company rankings/profiles, industry career guides, and advice articles
Candid Career - Recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
- Cover Letter Tips via Fashionista • FashionUnited • The Creative Loft • F-Jobs • BusinessofFashion Careers • Fibre2Fashion • Organization of Black Designers Job Board •FashionWorkie (UK Fashion Jobs) • AllRetailJobs • WorkinRetail • Outdoor Industry Jobs • Malakye: Job Search for Outdoor and Lifestyle Industries • American Marketing Association Job Board
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - Organization of Black Designers • American Sewing Guild • Fashion Group International New York • International Textile and Apparel Association • Council of Fashion Designers of America • Surface Design Association • Fashion Footwear Association of New York • Costume Society of America • Association of Sewing and Design Professionals
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH - Career Bliss • GlassDoor • Salary.com
LINKEDIN- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Fashion Merchandising majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Amazon.com, Inc.||Account Manager||Ascension Lingerie & Swimsuit LLC||Wholesale Sales Assistant||Atlanta First Agency||Showroom Sales Representative||Authentic Brands Group||Entertainment Marketing Cooridnator||AZIONE||Account Coordinator||Bealls, Inc.||Merchant Trainee||Burlington Stores||Assistant Buyer||Carters Inc.||Buying Coordinator||Clark Design Studio||Interior Design Assistant||Dormie Network||Merchandise Manager||Dormie Network||Merchandise Manager||Dormie Network||Merchandise Manager||Dormie Network||Merchandise Manager||Flypaper Digital Marketing||Product Specialist||House of Wallace||Retail Associate||HSN||Assistant Buyer||Ivy & Leo||Social Media Coordinator||Kenneth S. Nugent, P.C Attorneys at Law||Legal Assistant||Kirna Zabete, Inc.||E-Commerce Operations Coordinator||L’Etoile Sport||Assistant Designer||Lauren DeLoach Interiors||Junior Designer||Louis Vitton||Regional Events Coordinator||LoveShackFancy||Social Media Coordinator||LUCKIE||Content Strategy Coordinator||Macy's||Merchandising Assistant||Magnum Contracting||Marketing & Public Relations Administrator||Moda Operandi, Inc.||Social Media Coordinator||Mud Pie LLC||Catalog Production Assistant||Mud Pie LLC||Digital Marketing Assistant||NDA||Executive Assistant||Nordstrom||Merchandiser||PPI Apparel Group, Inc.||Assistant Designer / CAD Designer||Prada||Retail and Wholesale Merchandising Intern||Rebag||Associate Buyer||Red Dress||E-Commerce Merchandiser||Rooms To Go||E-Commerce Merchandising Associate||RTW Charleston||Sales Associate||S. Carter Designs||Sales Associate||Saks Fifth Avenue||Luxury Sales Stylist Assistant||Saks OFF 5TH||Merchandise Assistant||Signet Jewelers||Assistant Buyer||Springbot||Business Development Representative||Stylitics||Digital Stylist||Tessa Fay Studio||Designer||Tessa Fay Studio||Designer||Tessa Fay Studio||Designer||The Home Depot||Project Planner Contractor Analyst||Tom James Company||Professional Clothier||Uncommon Fashion||Account Executive||Veronica Beard||Sales Supervisor||Wedding Angels||Bridal Consultant|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Fashion Merchandising majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Athens Technical College||Not Specified||Savannah College of Art and Design||Fashion Design, MA||University of Georgia||Data Analytics, MSBA||University of North Georgia||Undeclared, BA|