What Can I Do With a Major In Fashion Merchandising?
UGA Specific Information for Fashion Merchandising
The Fashion Merchandising major is designed to provide students with a basic understanding of merchandising related to the apparel and textile industries. The program emphasizes the skills and competencies needed for careers in fashion promotion, buying, retailing, merchandising, and management. Students in the Product Development and Design emphasis learn to work in a number of ways to design products. Inspiration and design concepts drive the garments' creation, along with identifying the target market. All designs are first prototypes in muslin, design and fit problems addressed and resolved, before the final garment is constructed. Student designers present their final projects to the class, professor, and invited judges.
Fashion merchandising offers a wide variety of career opportunities with retailers, manufacturers, marketing research firms and product information services. Graduates travel the world, start their own businesses and make positive impacts on their companies and communities.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Fashion Merchandising*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Connect with Marla Ebert, your Career Consultant - click her to find information on how to schedule an appointment and drop-in hours
- Fashion Merchandising Academic Advisor - Anne Allen
- UGA TXMI Department - Fashion Merchandising
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
- Cover Letter Tips via Fashionista • FashionUnited • The Creative Loft • F-Jobs • BusinessofFashion Careers • Fibre2Fashion • Organization of Black Designers Job Board •FashionWorkie (UK Fashion Jobs) • AllRetailJobs • WorkinRetail • Outdoor Industry Jobs • Malakye: Job Search for Outdoor and Lifestyle Industries • American Marketing Association Job Board
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - Organization of Black Designers • American Sewing Guild • Fashion Group International New York • International Textile and Apparel Association • Council of Fashion Designers of America • Surface Design Association • Fashion Footwear Association of New York • Costume Society of America • Association of Sewing and Design Professionals
LINKEDIN- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Adore Bridal Boutique||Manager||Andrew Gelwicks||Studio Manager/Assistant Celebrity Stylist||Augusta National Golf Club||Product Development Intern||Ballyhack Golf Club||Merchandise Manager||Best Buy||Computing Sales Consultant||Board & Brush Creative Studio||Instructor||BPD Washhouse||Summer Intern||Bridals by Lori||Assistant Manager||Business Nitrogen||Social Media Strategist||Connect Meetings||Meetings Coordinator||fab'rik||Social Media and Digital Marketing Intern||Fringe with Benefits||Assistant Manager||IMG Live||Creative Design Intern||Insight Global||Recruiter||Jewel Branding & Licensing, Inc.||Graphic Designer and Portfolio Manager||Marvi Beauty||Founder and Creative Director||Mud Pie||Production and Testing Coordinator||National Retail Federation||Marketing Intern||Nordstrom||Visual Merchandiser||Panache Lingerie||Customer Service Administrator||Peace Corps||Peace Corps Member||Saks Fifth Avenue||Assistant Merchandiser||Sassanova||Stylist||Simply Organic Beauty||Marketing Coordinator||Spanx||International Sales Coordinator, Inventory Planning Coordinator||The Conservatory||Advisor||The Venue at Daisy Hill||Special Event Coordinator||Trunk Club||Clubhouse Stylist||University of Georgia Wesley Foundation||Intern||VizSense||Influencer Marketing Coordinator||VSoft Corporation||Content Marketing Specialist||Walt Disney World College Program||Cast Member||Zac Posen House of Z LLC||Global Marketing and PR Assistant|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Fashion Merchandising - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|North Carolina Agricultural and State University||Supply Chain Management, MBA||The Creative Circus||Art Direction, Certificate||University of the Arts London||Global Fashion Retailing, MA|