What Can I Do With a Major In Food Industry Marketing and Administration?
UGA Specific Information for Food Industry Marketing and Administration
The value of the food processing industry is about a hundred billion dollars in the United States alone, a value that is approximately four times larger than the next largest manufacturing industry. Food Industry Marketing and Administration is a major that concentrates on promoting food whether it's a small cattle operation selling grass-fed beef, a large retail food store, or a brewery with a new pale ale. This major will prepare students for jobs in the management of organizations in the food processing, wholesale, and retail sectors. Students will receive general economic and business training and knowledge of the food industry and the processes and standard operations involved in the food processing, restaurant, and food retailing sectors. By combining courses in agricultural economics, agribusiness, and food science, graduates of this program will be uniquely qualified for managerial jobs in this large and growing sector of the economy.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Food Industry Marketing and Administration*
** Includes Self-Employed
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Clubs and Organizations
- The Food Science Club
- Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS)-
- Alpha Gamma Rho (Men pursuing careers in agriculture)
- Sigma Alpha (Women pursuing careers in agriculture)
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
The industries that hire Food Industry Marketing and Administration majors include the food industry, sales and marketing departments, wholesale and distribution centers, or retail management.
It is recommended to get some hands on experience during your time at UGA. Check out our website for internship search boards:
Check out Handshake for Internships as well
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Food Marketing Institute
- The Institute of Food Technologists
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- United States Department of Agriculture
- US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) / Food
- International Food Information Council Foundation
- Agriculture Future of America
- FoodService Packaging Institute
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Chick-fil-A||Manager/Propel Program||Terrapin||Field Marketing Associate|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Food Industry Marketing Admin - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**