What Can I Do With a Major In Genetics?
UGA Specific Information for Genetics
Biology encompasses the study of all living organisms, including microbes, plants, and animals. The study of biology includes various aspects of life, including basic organization (molecular, cellular, tissues, organs), how organisms function, their roles in the natural environment, how hereditary information is transferred, and development of biotechnology. Biology graduates are broadly trained and well prepared for admission into strong graduate programs in the biological sciences and professional schools (medical, dental, and veterinary). They may also directly assume positions in government, education, industry, or certain technical fields.
Genetics is a discipline of biology,which includes the science of genes, heredity, and variation in living organisms. Genetics is the process of trait inheritance from parents to offspring, including the molecular structure and function of genes, gene behavior in the context of a cell or organism, gene distribution, and variation and change in populations. Given that genes are universal to living organisms, genetics can be applied to the study of all living systems; including bacteria, plants, animals, and humans.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Genetics*
** Includes Self-Employed
- UGA Department of Genetics Homepage
Student Organizations through Involvement Network (try Genetics Graduate Student Association, Plant Breeding Genetics and Genomics Graduate Student Association, Genetic Education Network and Experience Society)
Connect with your Career Consultant for help with job searching, resumes, interviewing skills, career options, applying to grad school, and much more
Connect with your Academic Advisor
- Find research opportunities by reaching out via email to faculty in your department or outside of it based on your research interests; Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities (CURO) at UGA can help support you (off campus research opportunities: Research Experiences for Undergraduates)
- If you're interested in a healthcare career, connect with the UGA Pre-Health Advising Office to meet your pre-health advisor and for more information
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POSSIBLE CAREER PATHS IN GENETICS
Taken from American Society of Human Genetics
Bachelor's Degree BA/BS
Clinical Research Associate
Genetics Clinical Nurse*^
K-12 Science Teacher*
Quality Control Specialist
Research Compliance Officer*
Master's Degree MA/MS
Community College Professor
Graduate & Postdoc Affairs Administrator
Public Health Researcher
Public Health Program Analyst/Evaluator
Technology Transfer Associate
Law Degree JD
Intellectual Property/Patent Attorney*
Medical Degree MD/DO
Independent Clinical Researcher
Doctoral Degree Phd
College Professor (teaching focus)
Field Application Scientist
Independent Basic Researcher
Science Museum Director
Clinical Laboratory Geneticist*
Medical Science Liaison
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- My Next Move (search by keyword)
- ExploreHealthCareers.org (great overview of healthcare-related career fields)
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Handshake - Login with your UGA myID and password to view thousands of jobs/internships from employers looking for UGA students
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- GoinGlobal - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Idealist - Nonprofit Jobs
- Indeed - General job search engine
- USAJobs - Federal Jobs
- The Vault - Industry guides, jobs, and internships
- American Society for Microbiology
- Careers, American Institute of Biological Science
- SCA – Internships; Gap Years (room/board/stipend)
- Top USA Jobs.Com-Microbiology
- Georgia Bio Job Board (Atlanta-area biotechnology group offering networking events and career resources
- Explore Careers- American Society of Human Genetics
- Environmental Jobs & Careers
- American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG)
- National Society of Genetic Counselors
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Institute of Biological Science
- American Society for Microbiology
- Society of Integrative & Comparative Biology
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Cape Fear Community College||Math and Science Tutor||Children's Healthcare of Atlanta||Research Assistant||NCR||Pre-Sales Specialist||Pfizer||Associate Scientist||Scion Genomics||Genomic Assistant||ScribeAmerica||Medical Scribe||SuperScribe||Medical Scribe||Tark's Grill||Customer Service||The Jackson Laboratory||Bioinformatics Research Assistant||U.S. Department of Agriculture||Poultry Science Intern||University of Georgia||Research Technician|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Genetics - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|Augusta University||Medicine, MD||Duke University||Genetics and Genomics, PhD; Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, PhD||Florida Atlantic University||Medicine, MD||Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)||Osteopathic Medicine, DO||Stony Brook University||Genetics, Not Specified||The University of Maryland||Animal and Avian Sciences, Not Specified||University of California, San Francisco||Medicine, MD||University of Chicago||Medicine, MD||University of Georgia||Comparative Biomedical Science, MS; Integrated Life Sciences, PhD; Microbiology, MS||University of Pennsylvania||Cellular and Molecular Biology, PhD||University of South Florida||Medical Sciences, MSMS||University of Texas Health Science Center San Ant||Not Specified, Not Specified||University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center||Medicine, MD|