What Can I Do With a Major In Nutritional Sciences?
UGA Specific Information for Nutritional Sciences
The Nutritional Sciences Program prepares students for careers in the health sciences, including medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, and physical therapy.
By studying this integrative discipline, students fulfill pre-med requirements while learning how diet and specific nutrients influence human physiology and disease. This knowledge builds a solid foundation for careers in medicine or a related health science. Students receive specialized instruction in the roles of nutrients in supporting functions of the body and all its parts, from the whole person to the organ systems and their constituent cells. The mission of the FACS Nutritional Sciences faculty is to develop students who will be competitive for admission to graduate degree programs in research, medicine and the allied health sciences.
Class of 2020 Career Outcomes for Nutritional Sciences*
** Includes Self-Employed
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Participate in the Career Center's Intern for a Day program to explore career fields of interest.
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Utilize Handshake to find internship, part-time job, or volunteer opportunities related to your career fields of interest.
- Conduct informational interviews. Build your network through brief one-on-one conversations with professionals in your career fields of interest. Speak to your Career Consultant to discuss how to set up and prepare for informational interviews.
- Join a student organization related to your interests and goals. Get active and taken on leadership roles in professional, service, social, advocacy, and/or honor organizations to gain valuable experience.
- Look for student-specific and career resources from professional associations affiliated with your career fields of interest.
- Seek research, presentation, and writing opportunities.
- Explore and discuss graduate school options and resources early.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career One Stop
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "Career Insider". Select "Industries and Professions".)
- Candid Career (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "CandidCareer.com". View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Athens-Clarke County Hospitals and Clinics
- ResearchGate Job Board
- Allied Health Careers at the VA
- Association of American Medical Colleges Directory
- PharmCAS Directory
- American Occupational Therapy Association Directory
- American Physical Therapy Association Directory
- Physician Assistant Education Association Directory
- Commission on Dental Accreditation Directory
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2020 Nutritional Sciences majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Bulldog Kia||Marketer||Georgia Options||Personal Care Assistant||Gwinnett Clinic||Medical Assistant Intern||LifeHope Labs||Associate Chemist||Medciphers||Patient Care Assistant||MetroDerm, P.C.||Medical Assistant||Piedmont Athens Regional||Anesthesia Technician||SMA Medical Labs||Phlebotomist||Sports Medicine South||Medical Assistant||William C McGarity, MD||Certified Medical Assistant|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2020 Nutritional Sciences majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Augusta University||Nursing, Master's; Physician's Assistant, Master's||Central Piedmont Community College||General Occupational Tech, AB||Emory University||Nursing, Master's||Georgetown University||Nursing, Master's||Georgia Gwinnett College||Undeclared, Bachelor's||Life University||Chiropractic, DC||Medical College of Georgia||Medicine, MD||Mercer University||Nursing, Bachelor's||Nova Southeastern University||Anesthesia, Master's||University of Georgia||Nutrition, Master's; Nutritional Sciences, Bachelor's; STEM- Business Administration, Master's; Dietetics, Master's||University of Tennessee- Chattanooga||Physical Therapy, PhD||Vanderbilt University||Family Nurse Practitioner, Master's|