What can I do with a major in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology?
UGA Specific Information for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Biology encompasses the study of all living organisms, including microbes, plants, and animals. The study of biology includes various aspects of life, including basic organization (molecular, cellular, tissues, organs), how organisms function, their roles in the natural environment, how hereditary information is transferred, and development of biotechnology. Biology graduates are broadly trained and well prepared for admission into strong graduate programs in the biological sciences and professional schools (medical, dental, and veterinary). They may also directly assume positions in government, education, industry, or certain technical fields.
Biochemistry is the study of the chemical substances and vital processes occurring in living organisms. Biochemists focus heavily on the role, function, and structure of biomolecules. The study of the chemistry behind biological processes and the synthesis of biologically active molecules are examples of biochemistry.
Molecular biology is the study of molecular underpinnings of the processes of replication, transcription, translation, and cell function. The central dogma of molecular biology where genetic material is transcribed into RNA and then translated into protein, despite being an oversimplified picture of molecular biology, still provides a good starting point for understanding the field. This picture, however, is undergoing revision in light of emerging novel roles for RNA.
Employers Hiring UGA Biochemistry and Molecular Biology for the Class of 2016*
100 Proof | Athens Heart Center | Athens Retina Center | Emerginet LLC | Fred’s Pharmacy | GI Care for Kids | Macy’s, Inc. | National Institutes of Health | Noramco, Inc. | Shire Plc | The Jackson Laboratory | The University of Georgia
Job Titles of UGA Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Majors for the Class of 2016*
Assistant Research Lab Assistant | Certified Lead Technician/ Inventory Management Specialist | Clinical Medical Assistant | EITS Systems & Client Support IT Professional Assistant | Executive Development Program Analyst | General Manager | Lab Researcher | Laboratory Technician | Medical Assistant | Medical Scribe | Ostomic Technician | Postbac IRTA Fellow | Quality Control Analyst | Research and Development Technincian | Research Assistant | Research Technician | Scribe | Vet Biosicences and Diagnostic Imaging Research Technician III
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Majors for the Class of 2016*
Augusta University | Drexel University | Duke University | Emory University | Georgetown University | Georgia State University-Perimeter College | Mercer University | The Johns Hopkins University | The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine | The University of Florida | The University of Georgia | The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill | The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center | The University of Virginia | Vanderbilt University
UGA Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Career Outcomes for the Class of 2016*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honors Society
- American Medical Student Association (AMSA)
- Beta Beta Beta is a National Biological Honor Society
- Pre-Nursing Club
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine Club
- Pre-Physician Assistant Club
- Pre-Pharmacy Society – Email Address: email@example.com
- UGA Pre-Health Advising Office
Connect with your Career Consultant.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Students interested in a healthcare career should investigate resources listed by the UGA Pre-Health Advising Office for an expanded list of campus organizations, area clinics, and volunteer opportunities.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- Candid Career (view professionals speaking about their careers under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- My Next Move (search careers with key words)
- ExploreHealthCareers.org (great overview of healthcare-related career fields)
- Careers, American Institute of Biological Science
- SCA – Internships; Gap Years (room/board/stipend)
- Environmental Jobs & Careers
- USAJobs.gov (job board for federal agencies - consider visiting the "Students and Recent Graduates" portal)
- Top USA Jobs.Com-Microbiology
- Georgia Bio Job Board (Atlanta-area biotechnology group offering networking events and career resources)
- Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities (CURO) at UGA
- UGA iPAWS Job Board for Full-Time Opportunities on Campus (click "Search Postings" and then explore "Staff-Full Benefits" and "Temporary" listings for research-related and other campus opportunities)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Institute of Biological Science
- American Society for Microbiology
- Society of Integrative & Comparative Biology
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.