What can I do with a major in Cellular Biology?
UGA Specific Information for Cellular Biology
Cell biologists are scientists who try to understand how cells function and interact at the molecular level and extrapolate this knowledge to explain the biology of whole organisms. The major is built on a curriculum of didactic and laboratory classes. These courses provide a solid grounding in general molecular biology as well as deeper insights into cell and developmental biology, infection and immunity, and the molecular mechanisms of disease. Rooted in basic science Cellular Biology classes often explore important new discoveries and concepts in medicine, biotechnology and veterinary sciences.
Approximately half of the Cellular Biology majors are members of a laboratory and conduct their own research. They work side by side with faculty, graduate students and research fellows from all over the world. Cellular Biology students make important discoveries and present their research at regional and national conferences and publish in international science journals. Undergraduate research is an exciting way to learn and understand science first hand and an important asset for application to graduate or medical school. A bachelor’s degree in Cellular Biology prepares students for entry into graduate programs in cell and molecular biology, genetics and biochemistry as well as other areas of modern biology. Cellular Biology majors are also well prepared to enter medical, veterinary, or pharmacy school. Other students may enter a professional career immediately after graduation working as laboratory technicians in the biotechnology industry or in Academia. In addition, other Cellular Biology graduates may pursue careers in teaching, forensic biology, technical writing, sales, or product development for the pharmaceutical industry.
** Includes Self-Employed
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honors Society
- American Medical Student Association (AMSA)
- Beta Beta Beta is a National Biological Honor Society
- Pre-Nursing Club
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine Club
- Pre-Physician Assistant Club
- Pre-Pharmacy Society – Email Address: email@example.com
- UGA Pre-Health Advising Office
Find additional clubs and organizations https://uga.campuslabs.com/engage/organizations.
Connect with your Career Consultant.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Students interested in a healthcare career should investigate resources listed by the UGA Pre-Health Advising Office for an expanded list of campus organizations, area clinics, and volunteer opportunities.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- My Next Move (search careers by keyword)
- ExploreHealthCareers.org (great overview of healthcare-related career fields)
- Job Board at The American Society for Cell Biology
- Careers in the Biological Sciences
- SCA – Internships; Gap Years (room/board/stipend)
- Environmental Jobs & Careers
- USAJobs.gov (job board for federal agencies - consider visiting the "Students and Recent Graduates" portal)
- Georgia Bio Job Board (Atlanta-area biotechnology group offering networking events and career resources)
- Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities (CURO) at UGA
- UGA iPAWS Job Board for Full-Time Opportunities on Campus (click "Search Postings" and then explore "Staff-Full Benefits" and "Temporary" listings for research-related and other campus opportunities)
- The American Society for Cell Biology
- American Institute of Biological Science
- Society of Integrative & Comparative Biology
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Cellular Biology Majors for the Class of 2017*
Augusta University | Emory University | Mercer University