What can I do with a major in Microbiology?
UGA Specific Information for Microbiology
Biology encompasses the study of all living organisms, including microbes, plants, and animals. The study of biology includes various aspects of life, including basic organization (molecular, cellular, tissues, organs), how organisms unction, their roles in the natural environment, how hereditary information is transferred, and development of biotechnology. Biology graduates are broadly trained and well prepared for admission into strong graduate programs in the biological sciences and professional schools (medical, dental, and veterinary). They may also directly assume positions in government, education, industry, or certain technical fields.
Microbiology is a branch of biology. This is the theory of small living things (microorganisms), which are divided into bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa (protozoa). In general, the microorganisms in microbiology are visible only under a microscope. Microorganisms are widespread in nature. Some bacteria inhabit the inner and outer surfaces of the human body, these are non-pathogenic micro-organisms to, for they call thus produced no disease. The bacteria of the small and large intestine are even useful digestive aid since it provides, among other things important for blood clotting vitamin K. Such a union between two organisms is called symbiosis. Also, there are microorganisms that act cause disease and are therefore pathogenic, and include, for example, the causative agent of bacterial infection and viral diseases. Living beings that live at the expense of another organism, called a parasite, to them, include multicellular animal life forms, such as arthropods and worms.
Employers Hiring UGA Microbiology for the Class of 2016*
Atlanta Braves | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention | Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta | CVS Health | Global Web Advisors, LLC | Gold Pack LLC | M | Nissan Motor Corporation | PAREXEL | Scribe America | Sears Holdings Corporation | The University of Georgia
Job Titles of UGA Microbiology Majors for the Class of 2016*
Administrative Assistant | Clinical Microbiology Research Assistant | Clinincal Research Associate | Lab Technician | Microbiologist | Microbiology Technician | Pharmacy Technician | Research Assistant | Research Technician | Retail Sales Associate | Sales and Marketing Rep | Sales Manager | Scribe | Ticket Event Team
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Microbiology Majors for the Class of 2016*
Augusta University | Emory University | Georgia Institute of Technology | Georgia State University | Mercer University | Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine | The University of Alabama at Birmingham | The University of Texas at Austin | Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
UGA Microbiology Career Outcomes for the Class of 2016*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Microbiology Department at UGA homepage
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honors Society
- American Medical Student Association (AMSA)
- Beta Beta Beta is a National Biological Honor Society
- Pre-Nursing Club
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine Club
- Pre-Physician Assistant Club
- Pre-Pharmacy Society – Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- UGA Pre-Health Advising Office
Connect with your Career Consultant.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Any students interested in a healthcare career should investigate resources listed by the UGA Pre-Health Advising Office for an expanded list of campus organizations, area clinics, and volunteer opportunities.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- ExploreHealthCareers.org (great overview of healthcare-related career fields)
- American Society for Microbiology
- Careers, American Institute of Biological Science
- SCA – Internships; Gap Years (room/board/stipend)
- Environmental Jobs & Careers
- USAJobs.gov (job board for federal agencies - consider visiting the "Students and Recent Graduates" portal)
- Top USA Jobs.Com-Microbiology
- Georgia Bio Job Board (Atlanta-area biotechnology group offering networking events and career resources)
- Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities (CURO) at UGA
- UGA iPAWS Job Board for Full-Time Opportunities on Campus (click "Search Postings" and then explore "Staff-Full Benefits" and "Temporary" listings for research-related and other campus opportunities)
- American Society For Microbiology
- American Institute of Biological Science
- Society of Integrative & Comparative Biology
- The Oceanography Society
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.