What can I do with a major in Public Relations?
UGA Specific Information for Public Relations
This program is designed to train students as analysts, creative thinkers, writers, planners and policy makers in public relations. The field of public relations can best be understood as a way of communicating the value, services, product or mission of an organization to the public as well as getting feedback from the public. In fact, public relations are a comprehensive communication effort and seven broad areas have been defined. These include: special events planning, media relations, public speaking, fundraising, programming, research, and writing/editing. Career opportunities in public relations include entry-level positions in marketing communications, corporate relations, public opinion research, nonprofit and education fundraising, political campaigning and trade association lobbying.
Employers Hiring UGA Public Relations for the Class of 2015*
22squared | Allied Integrated Marketing | American Constitution Society | Arketi Group | Barberitos Franchising Inc | Camp Grace | Canonball Creative | Capgemini | Carat USA | Chick-fil-A | Children's Healthcare of Atlanta | Community Bankers Association of Georgia | Creative Consultants | Dodge Communications | Edelman | Emory Healthcare | Epting Events | eSecuritel | FleishmanHillard | Georgia-Pacific | Go Global Experiences | Habitat for Humanity | Infax, Inc. | infinitee Communications | Interactive ID | Jackson & Coker | Kone | Landmark Properties | Lightbulb Innovation Group | Lockheed Martin | Mars Hill Baptist Church | Media Assembly | Mercedes-Benz | Moxie | Mutual of Omaha's Aha Moment Tour | Myrtle Beach Sports Center | Newell Rubbermaid | Office of the Governor Nathan Deal | Ogilvy & Mather | Phillips Management | RaceTrac | Reach Agency | Roadie | SapientNitro | See Spark Go | Sleishmanhillard | South Carolina Educational Television | Spanx, Inc. | Taigan | The Classic Center | The Marietta Local | The Redding Firm | The Reynolds Group | The Wilbert Group | Trevelino Keller | U.S. Senate | UPS | Watermarke Church | Young Life
Job Titles of UGA Public Relations Majors for the Class of 2015*
Account Coordinator | Account Executive | Assistant Account Executive | Assistant Brand Manager | Assistant Buyer | Assistant Media Planner | Associate Engagement Coordinator | Associate Project Manager | Brand Experience Associate | Business Development Manager | College Pastor and Social Media Manager | Communications Coordinator | Communications Director | Communications Fellow | Communications Leadership Development Program Coordinator | Communications Specialist | Content Strategist | Digital Creative Assistant | Digital Media Production Assistant & Assistant Producer | Director of Internal Communications | Diversity Fellow | Event Planner | Graphic Designer | International Sales Coordinator | Jr. Content Strategist | Jr. Marketing/Instructional Design Consultant | Leasing Agent | Marketing & Member Services Assistant | Marketing and Sales Associate | Marketing Assistant | Marketing Associate | Marketing Automation Coordinator | Office Manager | Patient Services Coordinator I | Physician Recruiter | Pre-K Specialist | Press Assistant | Product Public Relations Representative | Project Coordinator | Public Relations | Public Relations and Social Media Manager | Publicity and Promotions Coordinator | Recruitment Coordinator | Restaurant Marketing Director | Sales Associate | Sales Representative | Sales Support Coordinator | Social Media Marketing Manager | Staff Assistant | Staff Associate | Staff Consultant | Student Relationship Manager | UpStreet Groups Director
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Public Relations Majors for the Class of 2015*
Georgia Perimeter College | Georgia State University | Harvard Universtiy | Northwestern University | The University of Georgia | The University of Virginia | The University of West Georgia | Valdosta State University | Vanderbilt University
UGA Public Relations Career Outcomes for the Class of 2015*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Ad Club
- American Marketing Association
- The Association for Women in Sports Media at the University of Georgia
- Creative Consultants
- International Association of Business Communicators
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) – UGA Chapter
- Online News Association / Society of Professional Journalists at UGA
- Pandora Yearbook
- The Professional Entertainment & Sports Association (PESA)
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Talking Dog Advertising
- The Red and Black
- Women in Sports and Events (WISE) – UGA Chapter
- UGA Critical Media Studies Interest Group (aka Culture Club)
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
- Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Knowledge/Skills Needed in this Industry
- Strengthen verbal communication skills by taking speech communication courses and engaging in public speaking opportunities.
- Enhance writing skills through additional coursework or by writing for a publication such as The Red & Black.
- Obtain part-time, summer job, internship, or volunteer experience within an area of interest. Public relations is a competitive field and related experience is essential to break into the industry.
- Learn to work well with teams.
- Get a summer job or internship with a public relations firm, newspaper, TV or radio station.
- Develop strong computer skills and learn applications related to web page design.
- Gain persuasion skills through sales and learn how to sell your ideas.
- Gain experience with social media marketing using platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Become proficient in social media analytics by using platforms like HootSuite.
- More students are becoming proficient in online advertising services such as Google AdWords.
- Develop the ability to work under the pressure of deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Students interested in the accounts and management side of PR should consider taking at least one course in marketing, business management, accounting, and/or finance. Try to become proficient in Excel before you graduate.
- Consider enrolling in New Media Certificate courses to gain understanding and proficiency in digital media such as the Internet, websites, computer multimedia, and social media.
- Create a portfolio of writing samples, ad campaigns, marketing strategies, graphics and ideas. Making an online portfolio is a good way to market your skills for job opportunities by using websites such as Behance, Cargo Collective, Issuu, and WordPress. For more information and platforms, check out Portfolio Resources on the Career Center website.
Campus Involvement, Domestic Field Study and Study Abroad Opportunities
- Join Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) and/or International Association of Business Communicators (IABC).
- Participate in Creative Consultants, a student-run PR firm or Talking Dog Advertising, a student-run full service advertising agency.
- Join the American Marketing Association at UGA to gain knowledge in marketing strategies and research. You will also gain practical experience in applying social and digital marketing techniques with local and national businesses.
- Students interested in pursuing careers in the creative industry are encouraged to enroll in Summer at the Circus, a partnership between Grady College and The Creative Circus in Atlanta. Creative Circus is one of the top portfolio schools in the country, offering programs in Art Direction, Copywriting, Design, Image, Interactive Design and several other areas
- Participate in the UGA Global Advertising and PR Program in China, and learn about brand communication in Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong.
- Consider participating in the UGA Cannes Lions Study Abroad Program, which allows students to attend the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity and witness thousands of ads from around the world being showcased and judged. This opportunity also allows students to network with producers, directors, and actors who have starred in motion pictures.
LinkedIn Groups to Join
- Advertising and PR at UGA Grady College
- Internships and Interns
- PRSSA Public Relations Society of America (PRSA National)
- University of Georgia Alumni Association Group (UGA)
- University of Georgia Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Alumni
- Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
- For more information on how to effectively utilize LinkedIn, check out the UGA Career Center's Social Media Guide.
Additional Internship/Job Search Tips
- For additional information on internships and job opportunities, look out for emails sent every Tuesday on the Grady Career Services Update listserv. If you are not on that listserv, sign up for the Grady job leads listserv here.
- Follow @UGAGradyCareers on Twitter for timely job postings and career advice, run by the Grady College Office of Experiential Learning and the UGA Career Center Grady College Career Consultant.
- If you’re interested in working or interning for a specific company, visit that company’s website. Job and internship opportunities are usually listed under the “Careers” tab.
- For a complete list of advertising agencies and PR firms, check out this list compiled by Grady.
- For information about job salary, company reviews, and job openings, visit Glassdoor and CareerBliss.
- For a general job search, visit websites such as Indeed, Monster and Simply Hired.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (Click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (Type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (Accessible only on campus computers)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- CareerSearch (Research employers by location and/or industry)
- DAWGlink (Log in with your UGA MyID and password)
- GoinGlobal (To access GoinGlobal, login to your DAWGlink account)
- Idealist (Non-profit jobs)
- USAJobs (Federal jobs)
- Brand Republic
- Council of Public Relations Firms
- Digital Media Jobs Network
- Entertainment Careers
- Journalism Jobs
- Marketing Hire
- Marketing Research Association
- Media Bistro
- National Association of Black Journalists
- Nation Job
- O’Dwyer’s PR Services Report
- PR NewsWire
- PRSA/Georgia Chapter
- PRSA JobCenter
- PRSA Silicon Valley
- PR Week Magazine
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA National)
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Talent Zoo
- T. Howard Foundation – Diversity in the Media
- Turner Broadcasting System