What Can I Do With a Major In Human Development and Family Science?
UGA Specific Information for Human Development and Family Science
A major in Human Development and Family Science provides you with knowledge of individual, family and community development in diverse settings. Our students are interested in pursuing careers in social work; marriage and family therapy and professional counseling; healthcare; policy-making or law, just to name a few.
Students learn about lifespan and family development, the reciprocal influence of social, cultural, and historical contexts, and diverse family structures and functions. Students learn how to think critically and apply theory, research, and ethical practices, generate and effectively communicate knowledge, and provide educational, counseling, and advocacy services needed for children and families to function more effectively.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Human Development and Family Science*
** Includes Self-Employed
Connect with Jessica McLeod-Waddell, your Career Consultant - click here to find information on how to schedule an appointment
Daily Drop-In Hours: (staffed by Career Center graduate assistants and student interns)
In-Person: Mondays – Thursdays, 11 am – 2 pm in Clark Howell Hall (2nd Floor)
Virtual: Fridays, 11 am – 2 pm, career.uga.edu/appointments
- Department of Human Development and Family Science
- Internship Information
- Child Life Track
- Certified Family Life Educator Certification
- Human Development and Family Science Association
- Institute on Human Development and Disability
- Child Development Lab at McPhaul
- Couples and Relationship Enrichment Lab
- Family and Community Resilience Laboratory
- College of Family and Consumer Sciences Legislative Aide Internship
- Summer Study in Washington, D.C.
- Costa Rica Study Away
- ASPIRE Clinic Internship
- Center for Leadership and Service
- UGA Pre-Health Advising
- Pre-Health Student Organizations
- Pre-Law Advising Office
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Participate in the Career Center's Intern for a Day program to explore career fields of interest.
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Utilize Handshake to find internship, part-time job, or volunteer opportunities related to your career fields of interest.
- Conduct informational interviews. Build your network through brief one-on-one conversations with professionals in your career fields of interest. Speak to your Career Consultant to discuss how to set up and prepare for informational interviews.
- Join a student organization related to your interests and goals. Get active and taken on leadership roles in professional, service, social, advocacy, and/or honor organizations to gain valuable experience.
- Look for student-specific and career resources from professional associations affiliated with your career fields of interest.
- Seek research, presentation, and writing opportunities.
- Explore and discuss graduate school options and resources early.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career One Stop
Firsthand (Company rankings/profiles, industry career guides, and advice articles)
Candid Career (Recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers)
- "So You Want to Be a Counselor/Therapist? Let Me Tell You the Ways" (Psychiatry vs. Psychology vs. Counseling vs. Social Work, etc.)
- Idealist Nonprofit Career Information and Resources
- How to Begin a Career in Behavioral Health Care
Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Athens-Clarke County Human Services Agencies
- National Association for the Education of Young Children Career Center
- Georgia Department of Human Services
- Georgia Division of Family and Children Services
- U.S. Administration for Children and Families
- USA Jobs
- Career Insider: Vault Job Boards (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "Career Insider". Great for jobs and internships.)
- DC Jobs
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs Directory
- Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education Accredited Programs Directory
- Council on Social Work Education Directory of Accredited Programs
- American Psychological Association Accredited Programs
- Child Life Council Career Center
- Athens-Clarke County Hospitals and Clinics
- Allied Health Careers at the VA
- American College of Nurse-Midwives Directory
- Association of American Medical Colleges Directory
- American Occupational Therapy Association Directory
- American Physical Therapy Association Directory
- Physician Assistant Education Association Directory
- National Council on Family Relations
- National Organization for Human Services
- CDA Council for Professional Recognition
- Association for Childhood Education International
- World Organization for Early Childhood Education - USA (OMEP-USA)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Head Start Association
- Council for Exceptional Children
- HighScope Educational Research Foundation
- National Black Child Development Institute
- Military Child Education Coalition
- National Parenting Education Network
- Child Life Council
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- National Association of Social Workers
- American Public Human Services Association
- National Association of Counsel for Children
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges
- American Academy of Pediatrics
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Human Development and Family Science majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Advantage Behavioral Health Systems||Case Manager||Board of Education of Spain||Language Assistant||CentricsIT||Sales Development Representative||Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta||Child Life Specialist||Cotiviti||Human Resources Coordinator||Cowsert Heath, LLP||Paralegal||Cru||Full-Time International Intern||Eagle Ranch||Program Assistant||ESP Inc.||Atlanta Program Assistant||First American Bank and Trust Company||Treasury Management and Sales Specialist||FRND Specialized Care||Caregiver||Fusion Church of Madison||Children’s Ministry Director and Young Adult Catalyst||Gwinnett County Public Schools||Special Education Paraprofessional||Huntsville Hospital||Practicum Student||Levines Children’s Hospital||Production Intern||LocumTenens.com||Account Representative||Morehouse School of Medicine||Administrative Assistant||Nashville Zoo at Grassmere||Education Intern||National 4-H Council||Well-Being and Equity Consultant||North Atlanta Primary Care||Certified Medical Assistant||Our House, Inc.||Family Advocate||Peachtree Presbyterian Preschool||Preschool Teacher||PepsiCo, Inc||Sales Management Associate||Price Industries Inc.||Event Coordinator and Client Engagement||Primrose Schools||Teacher||Primrose Schools||Teacher||Saltbox Lane||Store and Interior Design Associate||The Athens Clinic||Substance Abuse Counselor||The Cason Group, Inc.||Benefits Counselor||The Walt Disney Company||Intern||Therapy & Learning Center of GA||Registered Behavior Technician||Thomson Reuters||Product Support Associate||UGA Wesley Foundation||International Student Ministry Staff||UM Worldwide||Associate, Integrated Planning||University of Georgia||Lead Teacher||University of Georgia||4-H Educator||University of Georgia||Rural Stress Extension Educator||Wayne County Public Schools||4-H Educator|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Human Development and Family Science majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Atlanta Metropolitan State College||Not Specified||Augusta University||Nursing, MSN||Augusta University||Nursing, MSN||Augusta University||Nursing, MSN||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, BS/MS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, BS/MS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MHS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MHS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MHS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MHS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MHS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MHS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MHS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MHS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MHS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MHS||Augusta University||Clinical Nurse Leader, MSN/CNL||Augusta University||Clinical Nurse Leader, MSN/CNL||Augusta University||Dental Medicine, DMD||Baylor University||Nursing, BSN||Brenau University||Occupational Therapy, MS||Brenau University||Occupational Therapy, MS||Carolinas College of Health Science||Not Specified||Doane University||Not Specified||Eastern Washington University||Child Life, MA||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Public Health, MPH||Emory University||Master Of Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||George Washington University||Pre-Medicine, Post-Baccalaureate||Georgia Military College - Milledgeville||Nursing, RN||Georgia Southern University||Not Specified||Georgia State University||Occupational Therapy, PhD||Georgia State University||Occupational Therapy, PhD||Georgia State University||School Counseling, MEd||Kennesaw State University||Chemistry, Not Specified||Kennesaw State University||Nursing, BSN||Liberty University||Counseling, MEd||Marquette University||Nursing, MSN||Medical Sales College||Spine and Orthopedic Reconstruction and Joint Trauma, Not Specified||Mercer University||Nursing, BS||Mercer University Atlanta||Nursing, ABSN||Middle Georgia State University||Second Grade Education, Not Specified||Morehouse College||Medicine, MD||New York University||Public Health, MPH||New York University||Social Work, MSW||Peabody College At Vanderbilt University||Child Studies, MEd||Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine Georgia||Physical Therapy, PhD||Richmont Graduate University||Clinical and Mental Health Counseling, MA||Rutgers University||Occupational Therapy, MOT||University At Albany||Clinical Psychology, PhD||University of Alabama At Birmingham||Occupational Therapy, DOT||University of Arkansas At Fayetteville||Not Specified||University of Georgia||Financial Planning and Consumer Economics, Master's||University of Georgia||Financial Planning, Housing, and Consumer Economics||University of Georgia||Professional School Counseling, MEd||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Comparative Biomedical Sciences, Master's||University of Georgia||Social Work, MSW||University of Georgia||Social Work, MSW||University of Georgia||Special Education, Master's||University of Georgia||Special Education, Master's||University of Haifa||Public Health, MPH||University of Nebraska - Lincoln||Law, JD||University of St. Augustine For Health Sciences||Occupational Therapy, Doctorate||University of St. Augustine For Health Sciences||Occupational Therapy, Master's||Vanderbilt University||Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner, MSN/FNP|