What Can I Do With a Major In Human Development and Family Science?
UGA Specific Information for Human Development and Family Science
A major in Human Development and Family Science provides you with knowledge of individual, family and community development in diverse settings. Our students are interested in pursuing careers in social work; marriage and family therapy and professional counseling; healthcare; policy-making or law, just to name a few.
Students learn about lifespan and family development, the reciprocal influence of social, cultural, and historical contexts, and diverse family structures and functions. Students learn how to think critically and apply theory, research, and ethical practices, generate and effectively communicate knowledge, and provide educational, counseling, and advocacy services needed for children and families to function more effectively.
Class of 2020 Career Outcomes for Human Development and Family Science*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Department of Human Development and Family Science
- Internship Information
- Child Life Track
- Certified Family Life Educator Certification
- Human Development and Family Science Association
- Institute on Human Development and Disability
- Child Development Lab at McPhaul
- Couples and Relationship Enrichment Lab
- Family and Community Resilience Laboratory
- College of Family and Consumer Sciences Legislative Aide Internship
- Summer Study in Washington, D.C.
- Costa Rica Study Away
- ASPIRE Clinic Internship
- Center for Leadership and Service
- UGA Pre-Health Advising
- Pre-Health Student Organizations
- Pre-Law Advising Office
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Participate in the Career Center's Intern for a Day program to explore career fields of interest.
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Utilize Handshake to find internship, part-time job, or volunteer opportunities related to your career fields of interest.
- Conduct informational interviews. Build your network through brief one-on-one conversations with professionals in your career fields of interest. Speak to your Career Consultant to discuss how to set up and prepare for informational interviews.
- Join a student organization related to your interests and goals. Get active and taken on leadership roles in professional, service, social, advocacy, and/or honor organizations to gain valuable experience.
- Look for student-specific and career resources from professional associations affiliated with your career fields of interest.
- Seek research, presentation, and writing opportunities.
- Explore and discuss graduate school options and resources early.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career One Stop
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "Career Insider". Select "Industries and Professions".)
- Candid Career (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "CandidCareer.com". View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- "So You Want to Be a Counselor/Therapist? Let Me Tell You the Ways" (Psychiatry vs. Psychology vs. Counseling vs. Social Work, etc.)
- Idealist Nonprofit Career Information and Resources
- How to Begin a Career in Behavioral Health Care
- Athens-Clarke County Human Services Agencies
- National Association for the Education of Young Children Career Center
- Georgia Department of Human Services
- Georgia Division of Family and Children Services
- U.S. Administration for Children and Families
- USA Jobs
- Career Insider: Vault Job Boards (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "Career Insider". Great for jobs and internships.)
- DC Jobs
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs Directory
- Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education Accredited Programs Directory
- Council on Social Work Education Directory of Accredited Programs
- American Psychological Association Accredited Programs
- Child Life Council Career Center
- Athens-Clarke County Hospitals and Clinics
- Allied Health Careers at the VA
- American College of Nurse-Midwives Directory
- Association of American Medical Colleges Directory
- American Occupational Therapy Association Directory
- American Physical Therapy Association Directory
- Physician Assistant Education Association Directory
- National Council on Family Relations
- National Organization for Human Services
- CDA Council for Professional Recognition
- Association for Childhood Education International
- World Organization for Early Childhood Education - USA (OMEP-USA)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Head Start Association
- Council for Exceptional Children
- HighScope Educational Research Foundation
- National Black Child Development Institute
- Military Child Education Coalition
- National Parenting Education Network
- Child Life Council
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- National Association of Social Workers
- American Public Human Services Association
- National Association of Counsel for Children
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges
- American Academy of Pediatrics
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2020 Human Development and Family Science majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Alternative Behavior Strategies Inc.||Behavior Analyst||AmeriCorps||College Success Counselor||Athens Area Urology||Administrative Assistant||BenchMark Physical Therapy||Technician||Bread for the City||Legal Clinic Coordinator||Camp Highland||Director of Staff Recruitment, Spring Intern||Capstone Healthcare||Client Services Associate||Chick-fil-A||Marketing Director||Children's Center for Hope and Healing||Administrative Coordinator||Children's Medical Group||Medical Assistant||Destination Dawgs||Mentor Coordinator||East Athens Physical Therapy||Physical Therapy Technician||Fashion Institute of Technology||Assistant Coordinator of Student Leadership and Engagement||Fusion Autism Center||Behavioral Health Technician||Georgia 4-H at Camp Jekyll||Environmental Educator||Georgia College Advising Corps||College Adviser||Glisson Camp and Retreat Center||Not Specified||Gwinnett Medical Center||Rehab Aide||Hopebridge Autism Therapy Center||Registered Behavior Technician||Jackson Healthcare||Customer Care Coordinator||Jefferson County School District||Special Education Teacher||Jones County School District||Intern Coach||Kate's Club||Program Intern||Matrix Residential||Marketing Representative||Mission Hope||Intern||Peachford Hospital||Mental Health Assistant||Peachtree Orthopedics||Physical Therapy Technician||Positive Behavior Support Corporation||Behavior Support Technican, Registered Behavior Technician||Primrose School of Athens||Teacher||Project Horseshoe Farm||Community Health Fellow||Reinhardt University||Admissions Counselor||Teach For America||TFA Corps Member||Teams Risk Management Strategies, LLC||Medical Caregiver||The Children's Hospital of Georgia||Child Life Intern||Tuckston United Methodist Preschool||Teacher||U.S. Department of Agriculture||Executive Assistant to the Secretary||UGA Wesley Foundation||Intern||Uniting Hope 4 Children||Case Manager||University of Georgia||Academic Advisor, Assistant Teacher at FACS-Child & Family Devel Ctr||Walt Disney Company||Cast Member||World 50, Inc.||Member Service Coordinator||Young Life||Staff Associate||Youth Villages Residential Treatment Center||Behavior Counselor|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2020 Human Development and Family Science majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Arrhythmia Technologies Institute||Cardiac Specialist Program||Athens Technical College||Interdisciplinary Studies, AB||Augusta University||Nursing, Bachelor's; Nursing, Master's; Occupational Therapy, Master's; Physician Assistant, Master's; Public Health, Master's||Belmont University||Occupation Therapy, DOT||Brenau University||Occupational Therapy, Master's||College of Charleston||Child Life, Master's||Columbia University||Social Work, Master's||Dalton State College||Undeclared, AB||Emory University||Masters of Nursing, Master's; Nursing, Bachelor's; Nursing, Master's; Physician Assistant, Master'||Georgia Southern University||Physical Therapy, DPT||Georgia State University||Occupational Therapy, Master's; Undeclared, Diploma/Certificate||Medical College of Georgia||Occupational Therapy, Master's||Mercer University||Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Master's; Family Therapy, Master's; Nursing, ABSN; Program Not Specified, Master's||Piedmont College||Nursing, Bachelor's||Richmont Graduate University||Clinical and Mental Health Counseling, Master's||The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga||Social Work, Master's||University of Georgia||College Student Affairs Administration, Master's; Finan Planning, Housing, and Consumer Economics, Bachelor's; Human Development and Family Science, Bachelor's; Professional School Counseling, Master's; Social Studies Education, Master's; Social Work, Master's; Special Education, Master's; Speech Language Pathology, Diploma/Certificate||University of Massachusetts- Boston||Clinical Psychology, PhD||University of New England||Program Not Specified, Bachelor's||University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences||Occupational Therapy, Diploma/Certificate||University of St. Augustine Health Sciences||Occupational Therapy, Master's||University of Tennessee||Nursing, Bachelor's||Unviersity of West Georgia||School Library Media, Master's||Valdosta State University||Counselor Education - School Counseling, Master's||Vanderbilt University||Nursing, Master's|