What Can I Do With a Major In Human Development and Family Science?
UGA Specific Information for Human Development and Family Science<! -- begin major description -->
A major in Human Development and Family Science provides you with knowledge of individual, family and community development in diverse settings. Our students are interested in pursuing careers in social work; marriage and family therapy and professional counseling; healthcare; policy-making or law, just to name a few.
Students learn about lifespan and family development, the reciprocal influence of social, cultural, and historical contexts, and diverse family structures and functions. Students learn how to think critically and apply theory, research, and ethical practices, generate and effectively communicate knowledge, and provide educational, counseling, and advocacy services needed for children and families to function more effectively.<! -- end major description -->
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Human Development and Family Science*
** Includes Self-Employed
<! -- begin campus resources -->
Connect with Jessica McLeod-Waddell, your Career Consultant - click here to find information on how to schedule an appointment
Daily Drop-In Hours: (staffed by Career Center graduate assistants and student interns)
In-Person: Mondays – Thursdays, 11 am – 2 pm in Clark Howell Hall (2nd Floor)
Virtual: Fridays, 11 am – 2 pm, career.uga.edu/appointments
- Department of Human Development and Family Science
- Internship Information
- Child Life Track
- Certified Family Life Educator Certification
- Human Development and Family Science Association
- Institute on Human Development and Disability
- Child Development Lab at McPhaul
- Couples and Relationship Enrichment Lab
- Family and Community Resilience Laboratory
- College of Family and Consumer Sciences Legislative Aide Internship
- Summer Study in Washington, D.C.
- Costa Rica Study Away
- ASPIRE Clinic Internship
- Center for Leadership and Service
- UGA Pre-Health Advising
- Pre-Health Student Organizations
- Pre-Law Advising Office
<! -- begin additional UGA Career Center recommendations -->
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Participate in the Career Center's Intern for a Day program to explore career fields of interest.
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Utilize Handshake to find internship, part-time job, or volunteer opportunities related to your career fields of interest.
- Conduct informational interviews. Build your network through brief one-on-one conversations with professionals in your career fields of interest. Speak to your Career Consultant to discuss how to set up and prepare for informational interviews.
- Join a student organization related to your interests and goals. Get active and taken on leadership roles in professional, service, social, advocacy, and/or honor organizations to gain valuable experience.
- Look for student-specific and career resources from professional associations affiliated with your career fields of interest.
- Seek research, presentation, and writing opportunities.
- Explore and discuss graduate school options and resources early.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career One Stop
Firsthand (Company rankings/profiles, industry career guides, and advice articles)
Candid Career (Recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers)
- "So You Want to Be a Counselor/Therapist? Let Me Tell You the Ways" (Psychiatry vs. Psychology vs. Counseling vs. Social Work, etc.)
- Idealist Nonprofit Career Information and Resources
- How to Begin a Career in Behavioral Health Care
Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
- Athens-Clarke County Human Services Agencies
- National Association for the Education of Young Children Career Center
- Georgia Department of Human Services
- Georgia Division of Family and Children Services
- U.S. Administration for Children and Families
- USA Jobs
- Career Insider: Vault Job Boards (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "Career Insider". Great for jobs and internships.)
- DC Jobs
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs Directory
- Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education Accredited Programs Directory
- Council on Social Work Education Directory of Accredited Programs
- American Psychological Association Accredited Programs
- Child Life Council Career Center
- Athens-Clarke County Hospitals and Clinics
- Allied Health Careers at the VA
- American College of Nurse-Midwives Directory
- Association of American Medical Colleges Directory
- American Occupational Therapy Association Directory
- American Physical Therapy Association Directory
- Physician Assistant Education Association Directory
- National Council on Family Relations
- National Organization for Human Services
- CDA Council for Professional Recognition
- Association for Childhood Education International
- World Organization for Early Childhood Education - USA (OMEP-USA)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Head Start Association
- Council for Exceptional Children
- HighScope Educational Research Foundation
- National Black Child Development Institute
- Military Child Education Coalition
- National Parenting Education Network
- Child Life Council
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- National Association of Social Workers
- American Public Human Services Association
- National Association of Counsel for Children
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges
- American Academy of Pediatrics
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Human Development and Family Science majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|12Stone Church||Children's Ministry Resident||Advantage Behavioral Health Systems||Health Service Technician||American Cancer Society||Senior Development Manager||BBYO||Associate Regional Director||Beverly Knight Olson Children's Hospital||Child Life Intern||Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington||Program Lead||Brio Internal Medicine||Medical Assistant||Catholic Charities Atlanta||Community Engagement Specialist||Children's Healthcare of Atlanta||Child Life Intern||Children's Healthcare of Atlanta||Behavioral Technician||Children's Healthcare of Atlanta||Behavioral and Mental Health Team||Christopher's Bridge Home Care||Home Health Care Aide||Christopher's Bridge Home Care||Home Health Care Aide||Christopher's Bridge Home Care||Home Health Care Aide||Christopher's Bridge Home Care||Home Health Care Aide||Christopher's Bridge Home Care||Home Health Care Aide||Clarke County||Case Manager Assistant||Covenant Presbyterian Church||Assistant Teacher||Dentons||Capital Markets Paralegal||Double the Donation||Partnership Success Specialist||Douglas County||Class Size Reduction Substitute||ESP, Inc.||AmeriCorps Member||Fayette County||Paraprofessional||Fulton County Schools||Paraprofessional||Georgia Division of Family & Children Services||Foster Care Case Manager||Georgia Division of Family & Children Services||Social Services Specialist||Georgia Kidney Consultants||Certified Medical Assistant||Giving Children a Chance||Foster Care Case Manager||Grady Memorial Hospital||EMT||Hopebridge Autism Therapy Centers||ABA Therapist||Innovative Therapy Concepts||Rehabilitation Aide||Insight Global||Commercial Proposal Coordinator||Kiddie Kollege||Lead Teacher (Pre-K)||Lowe Law Firm, P.C.||Executive Assistant to Principle Attorney||Lueder, Larkin & Hunter, LLC||Legal Administrator||Make-A-Wish Georgia||Wish Support Coordinator||Morgan Stanley||Wealth Management Intern||Nolan Transportation Group||Account Manager||Piedmont Athens Regional||Rehabilitation Aide||ProCare Therapy||Account Executive||SCI Talent Acquisition||Technical Recruiter||SCI Talent Acquisition||Technical Recruiter||Sholes Women's Center||Medical Assistant||Somerset Advisory||Intern||Somerset Advisory||Intern||Somerset Advisory||Intern||Somerset Advisory||Intern||Somerset Advisory||Intern||Texas Children's Hospital||Medical Assistant||The Connection at Athens||Leasing Professional||University of Georgia||Athletics - Baseball - Coordinator of Player Development||University of Georgia||Clinical Assistant||Wesley Foundation||Intern||Wesley Foundation||Intern||X3 Sports||Operations Support Coordinator|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Human Development and Family Science majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Augusta Technical College||Bus Healthcare Technician, BA||Augusta University||Nursing - Clinical Nurse Leader, MSN||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MS||Augusta University||Nursing, MSN||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MHS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MAOT||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MAOT||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MAOT||Augusta University||Nursing, MS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MAOT||Augusta University||Nursing, MSN||Augusta University||Clinical Nurse Leader, MSN||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MAOT||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MOT||Augusta University||Nursing, MS||Augusta University||Occupational Therapy, MOT||Augusta University||Clinical Nurse Leader Program, MSN||Augusta University||Clinical Nursing, MSN/CNL||Boston College||Law, JD||Brenau University||Science in Nursing, MSN||Brenau University||Nursing, MSN||Campbellsville University||Social Work, MS||College of Charleston||Child Life, MS||College of Charleston||Child Life, MS||Colorado State University||Occupational Therapy, MS||Columbia University||Psychological Counseling: Mental Health Counseling Track, EdM||Converse University||Family Therapy, MS||Divine Mercy University||Clinical Mental Health and Counseling, MS||Eastern Washington University||Not Specified||Emerson College||Speech Pathology, MS||Emory University||Nurse Practitioner, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MS||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Emory University||Nursing, MN||Emory University||Nursing, MS||Emory University||Nursing, MSN||Franciscan University of Steubenville||Catechetics and Evangelization, MA||Georgia Military College - Milledgeville||Not Specified||Georgia Military College- Valdosta||Not Specified||Georgia Southern University||Sports Medicine: Strenghth and Conditioning, MA||Georgia Southern University||Elementary Education, MAT||Georgia State University||Occupational Therapy, OTD||Georgia State University||Health Administration, MS||Georgia State University||Public Health, Master of Public Health||Johns Hopkins University||Direct Entry Masters of Science in Nursing, MSN||Lee University||Marriage and Family Therapy, Master's||Liberty University||Clinical Mental Health, MS||Lincoln Memorial University||Occupational Therapy, OTD||Mercer University||Clinical Mental Health Counseling, MS||Mercer University||Marriage and Family Therapy, MS||Middle Georgia State University||Nursing, BSN||Middle Georgia State University||Rehabilitation Sciences, BS||Savannah Technical College||Dental Hygienist, ASD||University of Georgia||Social Work, MSW||University of Georgia||Kinesiology, MEd||University of Georgia||Social Work, MSW||University of Georgia||Kinesiology, MS||University of Georgia||Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist, Certificate||University of Illinois||Occupational Therapy, MS||University of Louisiana at Lafayette||Psychology, BA||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||School Counseling, MEd||University of South Carolina||Counselor Education - Clinical Mental Health Counseling, EdS||University of South Carolina||Counselor Education, EdS||University of St. Augustine||Occupational Therapy, MOT||University of West Georgia||Professional Counseling: Clinical Mental Health, M.Ed||University of West Georgia||Professional Counseling: Clinical Mental Health, M.Ed||University of West Georgia||Professional Counseling: Clinical Mental Health, M.Ed|