What Can I Do With a Major In Human Development and Family Science?
UGA Specific Information for Human Development and Family Science
A major in Human Development and Family Science provides you with knowledge of individual, family and community development in diverse settings. Our students are interested in pursuing careers in social work; marriage and family therapy and professional counseling; healthcare; policy-making or law, just to name a few.
Students learn about lifespan and family development, the reciprocal influence of social, cultural, and historical contexts, and diverse family structures and functions. Students learn how to think critically and apply theory, research, and ethical practices, generate and effectively communicate knowledge, and provide educational, counseling, and advocacy services needed for children and families to function more effectively.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Human Development and Family Science*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Department of Human Development and Family Science
- Internship Information
- Child Life Track
- Certified Family Life Educator Certification
- Human Development and Family Science Association
- Institute on Human Development and Disability
- Child Development Lab at McPhaul
- Couples and Relationship Enrichment Lab
- Family and Community Resilience Laboratory
- College of Family and Consumer Sciences Legislative Aide Internship
- Summer Study in Washington, D.C.
- Costa Rica Study Away
- ASPIRE Clinic Internship
- Center for Leadership and Service
- UGA Pre-Health Advising
- Pre-Health Student Organizations
- Pre-Law Advising Office
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Participate in the Career Center's Intern for a Day program to explore career fields of interest.
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Utilize Handshake to find internship, part-time job, or volunteer opportunities related to your career fields of interest.
- Conduct informational interviews. Build your network through brief one-on-one conversations with professionals in your career fields of interest. Speak to your Career Consultant to discuss how to set up and prepare for informational interviews.
- Join a student organization related to your interests and goals. Get active and taken on leadership roles in professional, service, social, advocacy, and/or honor organizations to gain valuable experience.
- Look for student-specific and career resources from professional associations affiliated with your career fields of interest.
- Seek research, presentation, and writing opportunities.
- Explore and discuss graduate school options and resources early.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career One Stop
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "Career Insider". Select "Industries and Professions".)
- Candid Career (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "CandidCareer.com". View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- "So You Want to Be a Counselor/Therapist? Let Me Tell You the Ways" (Psychiatry vs. Psychology vs. Counseling vs. Social Work, etc.)
- Idealist Nonprofit Career Information and Resources
- How to Begin a Career in Behavioral Health Care
- Athens-Clarke County Human Services Agencies
- National Association for the Education of Young Children Career Center
- Georgia Department of Human Services
- Georgia Division of Family and Children Services
- U.S. Administration for Children and Families
- USA Jobs
- Career Insider: Vault Job Boards (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "Career Insider". Great for jobs and internships.)
- DC Jobs
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs Directory
- Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education Accredited Programs Directory
- Council on Social Work Education Directory of Accredited Programs
- American Psychological Association Accredited Programs
- Child Life Council Career Center
- Athens-Clarke County Hospitals and Clinics
- Allied Health Careers at the VA
- American College of Nurse-Midwives Directory
- Association of American Medical Colleges Directory
- American Occupational Therapy Association Directory
- American Physical Therapy Association Directory
- Physician Assistant Education Association Directory
- National Council on Family Relations
- National Organization for Human Services
- CDA Council for Professional Recognition
- Association for Childhood Education International
- World Organization for Early Childhood Education - USA (OMEP-USA)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Head Start Association
- Council for Exceptional Children
- HighScope Educational Research Foundation
- National Black Child Development Institute
- Military Child Education Coalition
- National Parenting Education Network
- Child Life Council
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- National Association of Social Workers
- American Public Human Services Association
- National Association of Counsel for Children
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges
- American Academy of Pediatrics
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|ADP||Associate District Manager||Bearpaw Partners||Content Writer||Belk||Sales Associate||Camp Skyline Ranch||Chaplain and Assistant Director||Camp Twin Lakes||Program Staff||CardioVascular Group||Certified Medical Assistant||Chick-fil-A||Human Resources Director, Leadership Development Program||Children First||Intern||Children's Healthcare of Atlanta||Behavior Data Analyst||Children's Tree House||Forensic Interviewer||Christian City Inc.||Intern||Clarke County School District||Pre-K Teacher||Columbia County Government||Deputy County Clerk and Administrative Assistant||Commercial Floor Resources||Officer and Accounts Receivable Specialist||Delta Air Lines||Flight Attendant||Delta Phi Epsilon International HQ||International Leadership Consultant||Diagnostic Systems of Georgia||Patient Care Coordinator||Eight Eleven Group - Brooksource||Technical Recruiter||Fairfax County Government||Human Service Worker||Fusion Autism Center||Behavioral Therapist||GCAC of Georgia||Case Manager||Georgia 4-H Foundation||Administrative Specialist, Development Assistant||Girl Scouts of Greater Atlanta||Camp Program Coordinator||Grace Athens||Resident Assistant||Habitat for Humanity||Graduate Intern||Jackson County School District||Paraprofessional||Live Forward||Outreach Coordinator||Magic Moment Photography||Event Coordinator||Memorial Health||Behavioral Health Aide||National Football League||Professional Athlete||Nationwide Children's Hospital||Child Life Specialist in Radiology||Onelife Fitness||Kids Club Associate||Piedmont Columbus Regional Medical Center||Receptionist||Pikes Peak Academy||Intern||Pinecrest Academy||Middle School Teacher||Prince Avenue Baptist Church||Missions Ministry Assistant||RESICAP||Human Resources Coordinator||Resurgens Orthopaedics||Medical Assistant||Sea Island||Group Coordinator||St. Lawrence Catholic Church||Director of Children's Ministry||Teach For America||Teach For America Corps Member||The Real Movement||Internal Resident||Therapyland||ABA Therapist||UH4C||Foster Care Case Manager||University of Georgia Wesley Foundation||Intern, Ministry Intern, Missions & Connect Intern||WellStar Health System||Rehabilitation Aide|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Human Development and Fam Sci - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|Arkansas State University||Occupational Therapy, OTD||Athens Technical College||Radiography, AS||Augusta University||Nursing, Not Specified; Nursing (Clinical Nurse Leader), MSN-CNL; Occupational Therapy, MHSOT; Occupational Therapy||Belmont University||Nursing, BSN; Occupational Therapy, OTD||Brenau University||Applied Gerontology, MS||Cambridge College of Healthcare & Technology||Diagnostic Medical Sonography, AS||Divine Mercy University||Clinical Mental Health Counseling, MS||Duke University||Not Specified, Not Specified||Emory University||Nursing, ABSN; Nursing, Not Specified; Nursing, ABSN/MSN||Georgia College & State University||Art Therapy, MA||Georgia State University||Not Specified, Not Specified; Occupational Therapy, Not Specified; Occupational Therapy, OTM; School Counseling, MEd||Kent State University||Higher Education Administration and Student Personnel, PhD||Medical University of South Carolina||Nursing, ABSN; Occupational Therapy, OTD||Mercer University||Early Childhood Education, Not Specified||Northwestern University||Marriage and Family Therapy, MSMFT||Purdue University||Human Resource Management, MSHRM||Regent University||Communication (Strategic Communication), MA||Southern Union State Community College||Nursing, AAS||The University of Memphis||Social Work, MSW||The University of Tennessee||Speech Language Pathology, MS-SLP||The University of Tennessee Health Science Center||Nursing, ABSN||University of Georgia||Child Life, MS; Communication Sciences and Disorders, MEd; Financial Planning Housing and Consumer Economics, MSFCS; Graduate Certificate Program in Pre-Professional Speech Language Pathology, Certificate; Human Development and Family Science, MS; Middle Grades Education, MAT; Nonprofit Management and Leadership, MA; Social Work, MSW; Special Education (Adapted Curriculum and Autism), MAT||University of Kentucky||Business Administration, MBA||University of North Georgia||Counseling (Clinical Mental Health Counseling), MS||University of Pittsburgh||Not Specified, Not Specified||University of St. Thomas||Nursing, BSN|