What can I do with a major in Geography?
UGA Specific Information for Geography
The Geography major is designed to expose students to the areas of human, regional, and physical geography, as well as geographic techniques. In addition to studying landmasses, Geography focuses on climate, and, sea, air, plant, mineral resources, population density, environmental changes, and how people adapt to these things. With such diversity, geographers perform a wide variety of jobs in a wide array of geographical areas. These might include areas such as urban and regional planning, housing and community development, business site location, environmental analysis, climatology, resource conservation, or cartography. Students trained in geography bring increased awareness of global issues, sensitivity to cultural differences, and an understanding of the complexity of environmental issues on life.
** Includes Self-Employed
CURO – Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Researching Careers: Regardless of the career that you desire to pursue, talking with professionals in that field is essential and can help validate your decisions. Use the Informational Interview guidelines in the UGA Career Guide to learn more about how to connect with individuals in your areas of interest.
Graduate School: If you are interested in going to graduate school, check out the graduate school prep resources on the UGA Career Center’s website
For additional graduate school help, meet with your Career Consultant at the UGA Career Center.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- American Congress on Surveying and Mapping
- Environmental Careers Organization
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Federal Government Jobs
- Georgia State Government Jobs
- GIS Café
- GIS Jobs
- GIS Jobs Clearinghouse
- GoodCents (GoodCents' purpose is to help all people use our world's precious resources more efficiently)
- Guide to Geographic Information Systems
- US & International Jobs
- US Geologic Survey Employment
- American Geographical Society
- American Meteorological Society
- American Planning Association
- American Society of Photogrammetry
- Association of American Geographers
- Geospatial Information and Technology Association
- The Association for GIS Professionals
LinkedIn: Find professionals on LinkedIn who have graduated from UGA with their geography degree. See what they are currently doing and how they got there! To find UGA alumni, join the University of Georgia Alumni Association Group on LinkedIn.
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Geography Majors for the Class of 2017*
The Georgia Institute of Technology | The University of Georgia | The University of Virginia