What can I do with a major in Sociology?
UGA Specific Information for Sociology
Sociology is the study of human behavior and interaction in the context of culture and society. Sociology studies the social institutions formed by mankind to determine the influence these institutions have upon individual and groups. There are many specialties in sociology that include marriage and family, community, gerontology, criminology, rural and urban studies, juvenile delinquency, and social and political organizations. A major in sociology leads to a wide range of career options in government, nonprofit or business. In addition, a major in sociology provides individuals with a solid foundation for further post-graduate study in law, business, or the social sciences.
** Includes Self-Employed
- Sociology Department Website
- AKD: International Sociology Honor Society
- CURO – Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Sociology Undergraduate Research Mentoring Program
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
- Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Researching Careers: Regardless of the career that you desire to pursue, talking with professionals in that field is essential and can help validate your decisions. Use the Informational Interview guidelines in the UGA Career Guide to learn more about how to connect with individuals in your areas of interest.
Graduate School: If you are interested in going to graduate school, check out these graduate school prep resources on the UGA Career Center’s website
For additional graduate school help, meet with your Career Consultant at the UGA Career Center.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- World Wide Learn Guide for Sociology majors (Scroll down to 'what can you do with a major in sociology?'
- American Society of Criminology
- American Sociological Association
- Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology
- Federal Opportunities
- Georgia State Government Opportunities
- Global Studies Association of North America
- Internaional Sociological Association
- Justice Studies Association
- Society for Applied Sociology
- Society for the Study of Social Problems
- Teaching Opportunities in Georgia
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Sociology Majors for the Class of 2017*
Arizona State University | ATP Flight School | Augusta University | Emory University | Freie Universit | Georgia State University | Liberty University | Mercer University | The University of Alabama | The University of Georgia | The University of West Georgia | Virginia Commonwealth University