What Can I Do With a Major In Real Estate?
UGA Specific Information for Real Estate
The Real Estate program has a strong reputation for the quality of the educational experience provided to their students. Real Estate is the study of site selection, acquisition (lease or purchase), management and disposition of real property. Many people assume that a career in real estate translates to the selling of residential houses. Becoming a residential real estate agent is an option, but not the only career path available. The study of real estate can lead to opportunities in any of the following areas and more: residential property management, commercial property management and sales, mortgage banking, brokerage, leasing, appraisal, and site location and procurement.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Real Estate*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Camille Liverpool, Terry College of Business Career Consultant (Management, Marketing, RMI & Real Estate)
- Dr. Henry Munneke, Program Head
- Deedee Walker, Academic Advisor
- Real Estate Department Homepage
Clubs & Organizations
Real Estate Society, Advisor Dr. Munneke
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS
- Appraiser - Appraise real property to determine its value for purchase, sales, investment, mortgage, or loan purposes.
- Commercial Real Estate Agent - Rent, buy, or sell property for clients. Perform duties, such as study property listings, interview prospective clients, accompany clients to property site, discuss conditions of sale, and draw up real estate contracts. Includes agents who represent buyer.
- Financial Aanlyst - Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Real Estate Broker - Operate real estate office, or work for commercial real estate firm, overseeing real estate transactions. Other duties usually include selling real estate or renting properties and arranging loans.
- Risk Analyst - Analyze and manage risk management issues by identifying, measuring, and making decisions on operational or enterprise risks for an organization.
The Real Estate Department works closely with employers to help students land jobs and internships. Be proactive in reaching out to faculty members and attending events in order to learn about potential opportunities. Join professional groups within the department, subscribe to the department’s listserv, and make an effort to attend any networking events that are available.
Research the Field
Some real estate opportunities (such as residential real estate) may require you to pursue additional certifications. Start researching the requirements early so that you understand how your career path may be impacted. The list of links to professional organizations (above) may help you in this process or you can reach out to faculty members in order to learn more.
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- Interstride - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Terry Connect - Terry's online mentorship platform. By creating an online profile during the active enrollment period (mid-late August) students will be matched with a mentor in their prospective industry for advice on job/internship searches, interview skills, and professional development. Students are also able to engage with alumni and each other on discussion boards and in special interest groups.
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- CareerSearch (Research employers by location and/or industry)
- Handshake (UGA's online internship and job board) *login with your UGA MyID and password
- Idealist (nonprofit jobs)
- USAJobs (federal jobs)
- LinkedIn Job Board
MAJOR/CAREER SPECIFIC JOB BOARDS:
- www.BankJobs.com (Bank related jobs)
- www.Select Leaders.com (Real Estate Jobs)
- Real Estate: I-Hire (Real Estate Jobs)
- NAIOP The Commercial Real Estate Development Association Job Board (Commercial Real Estate Jobs)
- Glassdoor.com (Real Estate Developer Jobs)
- Bisnow.com (Commercial Real Estate Jobs)
- MoneyGeek.com (Job Boards for Real Estate Job Seekers)
- Association of Young Real Estate Professionals Atlanta
- Commercial Real Estate Development Association
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- The International Council of Shopping Centers
- The Society of Industrial and Office Realtors
- Commercial Investment Real Estate Institute (CIREI)
- National Association of Mortgage Planners
- National Association of Realtors
- National Association of Residential Property Managers
- NAIOP The Commercial Real Estate Development Association
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|ALDI||District Manager||Alliance Residential Company||Development Analyst||Altus Group||Real Estate Valuation Analyst||Armada Analytics, Inc.||Analyst||Atlanta Fine Homes Sothesby's International Realty||Administrative Associate||Baranof Holdings||Financial Analyst||Basciani Foods Inc.||Managing Owner, Financial Controller||Bull Realty||V.P. Corporate Office Services||Carolinas Investment Corp.||Financial Analyst||Carroll Organization||Acquisitions and Asset Management Intern||CBRE||Office Leasing Intern, Tenant Representation Intern||Coldwell Banker Commercial MECA||Brokerage Associate||Coldwell Banker Upchurch Realty||Realtor||CollegeTown Properties||Leasing Associate||Cox Communications||Project Management Specialist||Credigy||Asset Management Analyst||Crim and Associates||Assistant Property Manager||CW Williams Homes||Salesperson (Real Estate Agent)||D4 Construction||Project Manager||Ernst & Young||Consulting Staff, Transaction Real Estate Staff||Fee Favor||Sales Manager||Fortune-Johnson, Inc.||Project Engineer||GEICO||Auto Damage Management Program||Greystar||Investment Analyst, Leasing Professional||Hawkins Parnell & Young, LLP||Administrative Legal Clerk||HFF||Capital Markets Debt Analyst||IDI Logistics||Investment Analyst||JLL||Analyst, Office Brokerage Analyst, Project Coordinator||Jones Lang LaSalle||Project Manager||KPMG||Management Consulting - Customer Solutions||Landmark Properties||Management Development Program Trainee, Project Engineer||Middle Street Partners LLC||Development Analyst||NCR||Sales Specialist||New Capital Partners||Analyst||New Western Acquisitions||Investment Sales Agent||Oracle||Not Specified||Oriental Harbor Investment Management||Research Analyst||OS National, LLC||Title Reviewer||Phillips Edison & Company||Junior Leasing Associate||PNC||Corporate and Institutional Banking Analyst||Popp Hutcheson PLLC||Commercial Property Tax Analyst||Prudential Financial||Investment Analyst||PURE Group of Insurance Companies||Underwriting Analyst||Quadrant Real Estate Advisors||Asset Management Analyst||Regions Bank||Not Specified, Real Estate Analyst||Revel LLC||Director of Marketing||Riverwood Properties||Leasing Associate||Ryan LLC||Commercial Property Tax Consultant, Consultant||Savills||Research Analyst||Sigma Phi Epsilon Georgia Delta||Vice President of Finance||Situs||Analyst||Skystone Acquisitions||Real Estate Investment Agent||Southeast Capital Companies||Real Estate Analyst||Staging Techniques||Warehouse Operative||Stream Realty Partners||Analyst||SunTrust Bank||Portfolio Management Analyst, Wholesale Development Program Analyst||T Trading Group||Forex and Crypto Educator||Tenant Base||Associate Advisor||Tennessee Bank & Trust||Commercial Loan Processor||The Simpson Company of Georgia, Inc.||Sales Associate||The Standard||Manager||Transwestern Commercial Services||Administrative Associate, Associate, Marketing and Research Associate||Triage Consulting Group||Associate Consultant||Trimont Real Estate Advisors||Finance Intern||Tucker Capital Group||Acquisition Manager||U.S. Military||Not Specified||U.S. Navy||Not Specified||Vanguard||Client Relationship Associate|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Real Estate - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|Clemson University||Master of Construction Science and Management, MCSM||Georgia State University||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Accounting, MAcc; Law, JD|