Finding a Part-time Job and Internship
Where are the jobs on-campus?
Fast fact: Four UGA departments account for almost 50% of the student jobs on-campus?
- Dining Services: 900-1000 jobs
- Housing: 400 jobs
- Recreational Sports - Ramsey Activity Center: 400 jobs
- Library: 200 jobs
Did you know?
Food Services, Housing and Recreational Sports at Ramsey have their own separate employment pages. These departments rarely post jobs on Handshake.
How do I apply for on-campus employment?
- Check Handshake
- Check the individual student employment pages of the following departments on how to apply:
- Federal Work Study
- Network! Ask your friends who work on-campus for a referral to work in their respective departments. This may be the easiest and best way to land a job on-campus.
Did you know?
40-50% of students rely on networking with friends and family to secure part-time employment?
Tips for securing on-campus employment
Fast Fact: Most jobs on-campus posted with the Career Center's online job listing system receive between 50-200 student resumes for a single position.
Tip #1 - Create an excellent resume:
Have your resume reviewed at the Career Center during our Drop-In hours, satellite hours or set up an appointment with your Career Consultant. An excellent resume often leads to an interview. Call us at (706) 542-3375 to schedule an appointment.
Click here to view sample resumes.
Tip #2 Take that extra step:
- If you apply on Handshake take the extra step and call the hiring manager for the position. Even though you apply on Handshake, send a follow up e-mail to the hiring manager along with a cover letter stating you applied through Handshake but wanted to also send your resume via e-mail to make sure the hiring manager received it.
- Express enthusiasm when applying both on the phone and through e-mail and why you would like to work for them.
- Do your homework and have an understanding of the department you want to work for.
- Dress professionally.